Stuck on boot after changing gfx card

Hello again. I got rid of the "temporary" card and got a GTX 1660. I'm right now back to square one as it's stuck on boot as the photo shows. What should I do now that I need an Nvidia driver?

try booting the live usb with the new gpu installed and see if you get the same corrupted image, if you do then i would try resetting bios to defaults, just be sure to disable secure boot after (if this setup is UEFI).

if this makes no difference, even on a live usb then try a good HDMI wire (by good, i mean not the one your using now) and connect it to a hdmi screen (or TV even) without using adapters. if the end result is the same then you may not of even needed a new GPU and instead got a new MB. but again, try with other displays/wires/live-usb before determining that since it's a nuclear option.

I don't get the same corrupted image fortunately and I have access to TTY. Can't I just run some commands to get past the letters as the photo shows?

You're profile states you are using Kernel 4.20 is this still the case?

1 Like

then boot to TTY

mhwd -li (list installed drivers)
sudo mhwd -r pci video-linux (<---remove all video drivers like this, replace "video-linux" with the ones installed)

sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia

no errors? reboot

I got a handful of errors in the last command. What should I do?

Edit: my bad, internet cable was disconnected

Installed the Nvidia driver but got "more" letters which is a good sign, but I'm still stuck at "reached target: graphical interface". 20190608_211040

I think so, yes. Does it matter?

Only if booting a different Kernel makes the problem go away. You should search around and find out what EOL (end of life) means.

How can I switch kernels? The pc boots straight into the screen I'm showing in the photo, whereas when I first installed the card I had the screen where I can switch to another kernel. How can I get that screen back? Or is it possible to switch kernels from tty?

Spam hit the esc key while booting and it should let you enter grub menu.

Done. Ran version 5 and still not working......

Does this help? received_407439286513859

This is what I get after reinstalling video-nvidia.
jpeg_1560025621948

It's funny but all it took was just
sudo pacman -Syu
And it got fixed. Thanks everyone for your tips!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by