Sudden spring of multiple redundant mount points

I don't know what happened exactly to my system, but currently when I open Thunar, I can see several mounted partitions such as File System (/), Filesystem root (/), efi (/boot/efi/) and tmp (/tmp/) instead of just a single File System (/) as it used be until today. I noticed this peculiarity after I booted into my system this evening. Strangely, all my desktop icons were scrambled, out of place and resized. And then I opened Thunar and this strange behaviour spawned before me.

Anyway, with root permission, I can unmount efi but they are all there listed on Thunar, even efi after it has been unmounted. The others apparently cannot be unmounted because they are in use. I am not sure what I should do to get back to my previous working state. Please help me get rid of these redundant mount points.

Screenshot_2018-04-15_18-18-35

If you should require it, let me trace back my non-trivial actions today. Well, I was installing a large package from AUR and I hit an error because I ran out of storage space. So, I deleted some data and used GParted to resize my partitions and add some more space to File System. Afterwards, I tried downloading the package using Firefox but it returned an error saying that tmp is full. So, I used BleachBit to get rid of all cache and temporary files and packages. That solved my problem. I was able to install the large package I was trying to install.

Later today, I realized that my system got possessed along the way. What should I do? :fearful:

Is fstab UUID entry matches the root partition UUID ? Do you have multiple entries there ?

@bogdancovaciu I am not exactly sure if I understood you right. Here is the output of lsblk.

NAME   MOUNTPOINT                 LABEL    SIZE UUID
sda                                      465,8G 
├─sda1                                      99M 7CE4-EE04
├─sda2                                     3,8G c898efeb-221d-42c6-a640-7b3ac6c10ae4
├─sda3 /                                    75G daea1dd0-ba83-4b27-bd12-0f7beb6f0790
└─sda5                                     794M 10DAE827DAE80B34
sr0                                       1024M

And here is what is written on fstab. I do not think this file is tempered. If I remember correctly, it used be as it is now. No multiple entries.

# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=7CE4-EE04                            /boot/efi      vfat    defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=c898efeb-221d-42c6-a640-7b3ac6c10ae4 swap           swap    defaults,noatime,discard 0 2
UUID=daea1dd0-ba83-4b27-bd12-0f7beb6f0790 /              ext4    defaults,noatime,discard 0 1
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0

P.S. I have not printed the partition sda4 which is labelled System in the screenshot and contains a Windows 10 installation.

It is a problem with Thunar, not Manjaro. Regardless of what the problem actually is, restarting Thunar solves it. Type the following on a terminal to restart Thunar.

thunar -q && thunar

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by