SUSE Studio Imagewriter poorly designed

i just had a issue with etcher imagewriter which seems to be a issue lots are having with it after a few uses, so i installed suse imagewrite cause of suggestion from here. seems to do the job, won't know for sure till i reboot and test the key i just made. what i do not like is their is no way of knowing if it's actually running or not till it's finished and device notifier pops up. suse really needs to be redesigned to show it's progress.

As the name implicates it is an application made for another system SuSE.

There is other utilities - e.g. my personal favorite mintstick.

2 Likes

It is always happening to "somebody else"

and once is done that window closes, as a sign that the writing was finished/ended successfully

8 Likes

like as showed @bogdancovaciu there is normally a pop up window showing the progress..
but there is sometimes a focus problem and the window progress stay hidden in back of other windows

1 Like

Go hardcore, use dd :wink:
sudo dd if=/path/to/image.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M status=progress && sync

Warning: Take very much care to replace X with the correct letter for your usb, otherwise risk for borking system

5 Likes

Happens to me all the time :thinking:

Arguably, a true Linux rite-of-passage...messing up a dd command. :smile:

1 Like

staff HERE suggested suse to others as i CLEARLY stated above. plus it was a rant so why i placed it in off topic. after i run my one test mentioned below i'll give mintstick a look. thanks

it's file operations so no to doing it via command line.

you may have a point, maybe the progress pops up on a different desktop. i'll have to create a new key and check the other desktops. thank you

:arrow_down:

mv
cp
rm
rm -r

are all file operations, I do only on command line, it's Linux :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

5 Likes

that's nice, but i prefer to avoid the command line as much as possible. everyone has their own personal preferences. i actually switched to manjaro because of being able to install almost everything i want through the software center vs. kubuntu.

1 Like

Personally, I greatly prefer panelled file-managers to command lines for most fiile operations. The warnings before overwrite (with ability to select a continuation), the fact that you see it going on in thee target folder. The fact that you can select flat-view or branch view afterwards and view sorted y size and date to see if any of the files were size 0 or of an impossible date. etc..
I have never liked the command-line. I'd rather do sudo mc and be able to edit text files with its editor, if needed.
I am probably not the only one, because I have been able to start mc on almost all unix machines I have come across. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have no gripes with KDE's own ISO Image Writer (esp. in KDE). isoimagewriter

3 Likes

Keep it standard. ........ for a gnome. :slight_smile:

I agree, the pop-up should not disappear after reaching 100%. It should rather blink or something. But nobody cares to file a feature request to the developers of the application.

1 Like

My favorite is Etcher. I use that app on linux and windows.

1 Like

later today or tomorrow i'll post on the suse forums about this issue and i'll add you idea about it grabbing our attention when it's done. nice idea.

etcher has a habit not working after a few uses. even with out the progress popup suse seems to behave as it should. now as for windows always rufus in my book, i've never seen it fail with any iso.

Just wondering: What's the purpose of this thread?
If something is wrong with the suse imagewriter thing, tell it to the deveopers (of that software).?!

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by