Switching from XFCE to LXQT

It's been nearly 2 months since I installed Manjaro XFCE on my laptop and has been very easy to use. However, my laptop is old and low-end so I want to squeeze as much performance as I can. Then I found LXQT, and I want to try it. But since my bandwidth is limited and I don't want to move my files to and from, I was wondering if I can just replace XFCE with LXQT. I have read the Installing Desktop Environments on the wiki and they have the same display manager, so it's just easy as installing the packages, right? Or if I'm wrong, what will I have to do then? TIA

Those instructions are slightly out of date and while they will probably work, they don't reflect the current state of the lxqt Community edition.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to simply install the packages from the ISO profile. One way to do that would be like this:

sudo pacman --needed -S $(curl -s https://gitlab.manjaro.org/profiles-and-settings/iso-profiles/-/raw/master/community/lxqt/Packages-Desktop | grep -v "^[#>]" | sed '/^$/d') 

Take a careful look at the list of packages it is planning to install for sanity checking purposes.

You will also need to go into /etc/skel and copy the relevant parts into your home directory or create a new user account to get the settings.

As always, have a good backup before you try it.

1 Like

Do I need to also remove the packages from XFCE?

You don't have to. Although you might need to remove the xfce settings package.

I tried to install the packages but it says that Kvantum.kvconfig exists in filesystem. Do I have to delete that or is it part of the XFCE settings package?

You should check to see if something owns it first.

pacman -Qo /full/path/to/file

If nothing owns it, delete it.

Ok, I have successfully installed the packages. Now what is the next step?

The easiest thing to do is create a new user, then logout and login as the new user. However, before you login, switch the session from xfce to lxqt

So I created a new user through the Manjaro Settings Manager and I can login with this user. But it doesn't let me change the session (I'm assuming that the way to change the session is to click the little XF icon on the bottom right of the Login Screen).

When I tried to switch to another user again, the screen went black and now there's just a blinking underscore in the screen.

Have you tried rebooting?

Yes, but the strange thing is that the menu where you change kernels (I think that's the grub menu) is changed.

Probably because of this package which was on the list manjaro-grub-theme-blurred

Then I just have to uninstall that?

I've also installed drivers for my hardware. I installed it through the Manjaro Settings Manager-Hardware then the video setmode and video vesa (I can't remember it).

I can still login through TTY so I ran startx and it gave some errors.

So...in the middle of installing a new desktop, you decided to install some video drivers?

:fearful: .......Yeah....... :disappointed: But can I revert that using the TTY? :

Yes, use mhwd from the command line. I would definitely remove "video vesa"

Okay, It's now fixed (Thank you for the fix) and I'm now on my new account using LXQT. What's the next step?

Forum kindly sponsored by