Switching to modesetting on intel iGPU and disabling AMD dGPU

Hello, I have dual GPU system,

inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: AMD Sun LE [Radeon HD 8550M / R5 M230] driver: radeon v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: intel,radeon FAILED: ati 
           unloaded: modesetting resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.6

Firstly, I would like to completely disable the AMD gpu to save battery as it is really worthless, the intel one performs better than it. I tried the acpi_call method from Hybrid Graphics - Arch wiki, but the script linked failed for all the options.
Relevant info:

cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
0:IGD:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0
1:DIS: :DynOff:0000:01:00.0

Secondly, I would like to try the modesetting driver for intel, as the ArchWiki and other distros recommend doing it for 4th gen and above.
I did, mhwd -r pci video-linux and it uninstalled a lot of stuff, which seems important for graphical performance

removing lib32-mesa-vdpau...
removing lib32-libva-vdpau-driver...
removing lib32-libvdpau...
removing lib32-vulkan-radeon...
removing lib32-vulkan-intel...
removing mesa-vdpau...
removing libva-vdpau-driver...
removing libva-mesa-driver...
removing vulkan-radeon...
removing vulkan-intel...
removing xf86-video-intel...
removing libxvmc...
removing xf86-video-amdgpu...
removing xf86-video-ati...

So I simply reinstalled it with mhwd -i pci video-linux and all those packages got reinstalled.
How do I go about switching to modesetting and also retaining these grpahical features? I do some light and occasional gaming (CSGO)

pacman -Qs xf86-video
local/xf86-video-amdgpu 19.1.0-1 (xorg-drivers)
    X.org amdgpu video driver
local/xf86-video-ati 1:19.1.0-1 (xorg-drivers)
    X.org ati video driver
local/xf86-video-intel 1:2.99.917+906+g846b53da-1 (xorg-drivers)
    X.org Intel i810/i830/i915/945G/G965+ video drivers
local/xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.16-1 (xorg-drivers)
    Open Source 3D acceleration driver for nVidia cards

I blacklisted the modules amdgpu and radeon, now xrandr --listproviders only shows the intel GPU. But inxi still sees the 2nd GPU

$inxi -Gxx
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:5916 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Sun LE [Radeon HD 8550M / R5 M230] vendor: Dell driver: N/A 
           bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:666f 
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting alternate: fbdev,intel,vesa compositor: kwin_x11 
           resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.6 direct render: Yes 

It will do unless you disable it in hardware, i.e. via your BIOS/UEFI.

You might be able to prevent it appearing to the kernel via a kernel parameter to disable a particular device/bus ID. No idea whether that will actually work or not, or even whether it will prevent the hardware from being powered on. :man_shrugging:

Hello! Thanks for replying.
I checked the BIOS, there's no option to disable the GPU.
However, it's getting weird

less /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
/sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch: No such file or directory

The whole vgaswticheroo directory itself doesn't exist anymore, does it mean the GPU is truly disabled? But then again, both neofetch and inxi can see it

And regarding switching to modesetting,
I uninstalled all the xf86-video packages and added i915 as MODULES=(i915) to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf for early Kernel modesetting (KMS)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by