System crash, cannot reboot

Probably not related to the booting problem, but that file doesn't exist in recent linux-firmware package. Only firmware-4 and firmware-6 are available here.

You could boot again but remove the "quiet" from GRUB command line to see more info.

After omitting "quiet" I get nothing but "OK" and and system stops indefinitely at "reached target graphical interface"

Haven't been able to make a bootable USB yet but will follow up shortly

IMG_20190227_133709_1

IMG_20190227_133958

I have booted from USB and have what looks like complete access to all prior files on the drive. I don't know where to begin in trying to find what went wrong though. Is there some diagnostic I could run?

Would "replacing a partition" be a viable solution that effectively preserves my installed programs? In particular virtualbox and it's virtual machines

Well, my troubleshooting capabilities are limited, maybe someone else can chip in here.
But given that all files seem to be there we at least know that the container and file system are ok. You could no do a backup of your data to another USB attached drive.

Given that your last log entry is Graphical Target reached I would suspect you got a an issue with the X server, in which case you may be able to boot from your disk, logon to a tty (Ctrl-Alt-F3 or F4) and run dmesg -T or journalctl to see if you get any meaningful error messages.

You may want to try this:

I assume I am a btrfs user as when I follow normal directions I get an error saying "you can't mount 0!"

In which case I'm lost at step 5c. I have nvme0n1p1 as root, so I'm guessing "other" partitions in the example are (luks) nvme0n1p2, and (luks linuxswap?) nvmeon1p3. Correct?

In which case can you advise what I should be doing at 5c?

You don’t really need to mount the encrypted swap partition. Is your whole system encrypted? Or just /home?

I think yes, whole system is encrypted. When I turn the system on the first thing I do is decrypt after the Dell logo screen

After mounting from within KDE partition manager

At this point I've done 5b with "nvme0n1p1"

I suppose /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt/@/home but "mount point does not exist"

Hold up. /dev/nvme0n1p1 appears to be a 512 mb EFI (esp) partition.
You system appears to be /dev/nvme0n1p2.
Encrypted swap is the third partition.

Tried;
Sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt/home
"mount point does not exist"
tried;
Sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /home
"unknown filesystem type 'crypto_luks'

I might as well add encrypted drives to my guide. You are using standard ext4. It is not working because you are encrypted, and the system doesn’t have your password to decrypt it,

Gparted tells me that
First partition = Efi (boot) partition
2nd partition = EXT4 full manjaro install (encrypted)
3rd partition = Encrypted swap

The tutorial I posted does not support encrypted drives at this point. Try the other one...
With my method, The drive is never decrypted, therefore confusing the system. The second tutorial decrypts the drive, allowing you and the system to read it.

Thanks for guiding me thus far. Here I am,
1.Found the name
2.Unmounted all drives in partitionmmanager to start over
3.opened nvme0n1p2
4.mounted nvme0n1p2

My next question is do I also need to mount nvme0n1p1 and how?

Did mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot
Want to make sure it's all correct before

Does "sh-4.4#" indicate I am ready for step 6 of your first posted tutorial?

Despite being connected to wifi I have failed to "Sudo pacman -Syyuu"

So in taking a break I turned the system off again. I came back, forgot to go into the boot menu and automagically the system successfully booted into the original install..

I proceeded to -Syyuu and update grub from Konsole.

I don't know what happened but would be happy to hear theories. However most importantly, I would like your advice if there is anything I should check

Thanks again for the support

1 Like

You weren't holding your face right on your other boot attempts. :smile:

1 Like

Try those two and see if you spot something.

journalctl survives a reboot, so you may be able to find something in yesterdays log.

1 Like

I keep having this problem. Unable to resolve host and no packages ending up being upgraded

I'm messaging again now because the original problem has happened again. It is exactly as I described in the original post.

I have a bootable usb already, I could use some advice on how to solve this issue once and for all.

Also I'm not confident if I'm chrooting correctly into my encrypted drive as per the last bit of this threa, as it is not seeming to work as described

I might also add that I saw a "failed to start load kernal module" error

Forum kindly sponsored by