system keeps bogging down

Ok, I wasn't sure where the best place to put this would be, so it's going here. This is my second attempt with Manjaro with Plasma in the past week. I talked about this in another thread, but at the time I thought it was an issue with Falkon, because that's where it started.

What happens is: I install a bunch of stuff. Falkon, after awhile, starts randomly hanging up. You'll have freezes for five or six seconds at a time. Then other stuff starts to slow down. Then the entire display starts randomly going dark for a second or two. That's the stage I'm at right now. The last time, it eventually got to the point at which plasma just crashed and I had to reinstall. It takes about two days from the time I install the system for this to happen. I haven't had this much trouble with a desktop since I installed KDE 4.0 back in 2008. What's going on?

Small update: another app that is just outright freezing up for several seconds when I try to click on something is Kmail... actually anything in the Kontact suite is doing it.

I ended up having to reinstall again. If it happens again I'll probably try Debian. Something in Manjaro is seriously broken on this laptop methinks...

Would you use Falkon on Debian?
I'm not having any issues at the moment, but I use Firefox and Mailspring.

1 Like

I'd like to at least give Falcon a good try and see how well it works. Anyway, I have to think it isn't just Falkon causing all this. There's something else wrong.

Maybe take Falkon and the 'bunch of stuff' out of the equation and see how the system runs for a few days with just the base packages. If you don't have any problems you'll know it was down to something you installed.

You are using kdepim = akonadi/baloo by default. Check your ksysguars for active processes when these "slow downs" occur. Something is either chewing up Ram to the point of causing swaps, or is chewing up your processing power and spotting it out. You can see this by looking at it in ksysguard or you can keep speculating as you have so far in both threads. Systems don't just mysteriously freeze up. If not use dmesg and let's see what is going on there. Journalctl anything other than panicked commentary for which no one has any hope of helping you. In other words stop blaming it on the distro, because there is a 99% chance it has something to do with what you are running. I.e. something you allowed broke it. Troubleshoot it, stop speculating and laying blame. Own it.

1 Like

Ok, it completely melted down on me again, and I wasn't able to get to it for a day or two. I now have it reinstalled, with what I would consider to be a BARE MINIMUM production environment. I have installed the following software, mostly from the AUR:

Chrome
Transcribe!
Trillian
Playonlinux
Guitar Pro 7 (via playonlinux)
Zoom
Clementine

I have uninstalled:

Firefox
Thunderbird

As I said, this is bare minimum. I really need a mail client as well and could use a few other things, but I'm not ready to risk installing Kontact/Kmail yet. I'm going to run it like this for a couple of days, and I'm watching resource usage like a hawk.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by