Systemd 240 update breaks graphical login

the latest systemd on unstable broke graphical login i had to revert to make it work again

Unstable VM

I got a message after GUI login:

Einstellungsserver kann nicht kontaktiert werden

Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-gZSu5AMyoH: Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt

then:

Kann keine Verbindung zur Sitzung des Nachrichtenbusses erhalten

Verbindung ist gescheitert: Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt

Xfce Session is gone...

journalctl -b gives some hints about crashes:

https://filehorst.de/d/cmBcIjwG

I didn't update systemd on my machine yet. Only packaged it. I've to see what the issue might be. Thx for reporting it.

1 Like

It might be a combination...

I have coredump of xfce4-session and light-locker.

Also have strange new ACPI errors:

Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 kernel: ACPI Error: [_SB_.PCI0.RP05.PXSX] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170728/dswload2-191)
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 kernel: ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20170728/psobject-252)
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 kernel: ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PCI0.RP04.PXSX, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170728/psparse-550)
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 kernel: ACPI Error: [_SB_.PCI0.RP09.PXSX] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170728/dswload2-191)
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 kernel: ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20170728/psobject-252)
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 kernel: ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PCI0.RP08.PXSX, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170728/psparse-550)

Something going on with mdadm:

Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 [407]: Failed to wait spawned command '/usr/bin/mdadm --incremental --export /dev/sdb5 --offroot ${DEVLINKS}': Input/output error
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 [335]: Failed to wait spawned command '/usr/bin/mdadm --incremental --export /dev/sda5 --offroot ${DEVLINKS}': Input/output error
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 [367]: Failed to wait spawned command '/usr/bin/mdadm --incremental --export /dev/sdb4 --offroot ${DEVLINKS}': Input/output error
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 [402]: Failed to wait spawned command '/usr/bin/mdadm --incremental --export /dev/sdb3 --offroot ${DEVLINKS}': Input/output error
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 [378]: Failed to wait spawned command '/usr/bin/mdadm --incremental --export /dev/sdb6 --offroot ${DEVLINKS}': Input/output error
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 [388]: Failed to wait spawned command '/usr/bin/mdadm --incremental --export /dev/sda2 --offroot ${DEVLINKS}': Input/output error
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 [382]: Failed to wait spawned command '/usr/bin/mdadm --incremental --export /dev/sda6 --offroot ${DEVLINKS}': Input/output error
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 [351]: Failed to wait spawned command '/usr/bin/mdadm --incremental --export /dev/sda4 --offroot ${DEVLINKS}': Input/output error
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 [357]: Failed to wait spawned command '/usr/bin/mdadm --incremental --export /dev/sdb2 --offroot ${DEVLINKS}': Input/output error
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 [448]: Failed to wait spawned command '/usr/bin/mdadm --incremental --export /dev/sda3 --offroot ${DEVLINKS}': Input/output error

And, a couple of other random entries:

Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 kernel: amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: Invalid PCI ROM header signature: expecting 0xaa55, got 0xffff
Dec 22 09:35:53 Jammin1 kernel: (NULL device *): hwmon_device_register() is deprecated. Please convert the driver to use hwmon_device_register_with_info().

I also downgraded everything (systemd and linux-firmware) and all is well again.

No problem here with kde on unstable
With latest firmware and systemd 240

I just logged in to report this as well.

Updated 12 packages this morning, rebooted this afternoon and no graphical login (error something like 'can't find settings manager' - don't know exactly, I didn't write it down).
Used the fantastic 'Timeshift' to restore to yesterdays disk image, all was well.
Redid the update with the 8 updates that weren't to do with systemd, rebooted and all was well again. So proof positive that systemd is the problem (if you ever needed proof of that).

I am on Xfce4 unstable.

Holding systemd updates for now.

Same as @Librewish. " No problem here with kde on unstable With latest firmware and systemd 240"

Did get a few pacman: [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver. etc errors. But I always reboot after getting these errors and go on my merry way with no ill effects.

240.1 is in unstable now.

240.1 is just as bad.
Incidentally the error message is:

Unable to contact settings server
Connection Refused

Same for me : 240.1 breaks boot
First symptom : shutdown after update or after switch from stable to unstable takes forever (and then no boot)

Please test v240.1-2 and report back ...

I will do when I see it, but not available yet (German mirrors)

Edit. 240.1-2 has just arrived I will try it now.

240.1-2 is bad as well.
Same error.

Hmm, I didn't had time yet to test. Maybe I'll update a fresh v18.0.1 version in VB which I'm currently uploading ...

I just updated a fresh Gnome v18.0.1 to systemd 240.1-2 without any issues. Seems only old installations may have problems, on which I don't know why. Did systemd 239.370-1 work? See current issues reported to the Arch-Bugtracker ... You may also see the changelog of fedora, which is upstream for systemd. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

i just changed branch to testing that contains systemd 239.370-2 and it works

Might also be having issues with my X230. I'll check more tomorrow.

Just updated still no problem works fine

No issues for me on an old KDE VM, after reading this thread I was almost expecting the system to blow up, but alas not.

I'll update my other VMs then bare metal update on my secondary laptop.

EDIT :

No issues at all for me on any of my unstable systems, all fully encrypted KDE systems, all running linux419 4.19.12-1 with systemd 240.1-2.

Is this a GTK based DE / DM related issue?

Only warning was to do with appstream metadata.

[ALPM] running 'update-appstream-cache.hook'...
[ALPM-SCRIPTLET] The AppStream system cache was updated, but some errors were detected, which might lead to missing metadata. Refer to the verbose log for more information.

No issues for me on Gnome, KDE Plasma and i3 - but i get this on Cinnamon and XFCE

The login screen loads correctly, but then the login fails:

• On Budgie the login just goes in a loop with no error display.

I can reach the desktop on all of them from TTY2 with the startx command and logged with my user.

No time to check journactl and/or fixes for this. Probably i will be able later this evening.

Forum kindly sponsored by