Terminal Commands that New Linux/Manjaro users need to learn

yoaurt is not as actively developed as it used to be. It is recommended to switch to something else at this point.

Alright, good to know. I used yaourt simply because it was used in the example I followed to install my first package.

Looks like the Wiki needs to be updated.

I thought all the wiki references to yaourt were replaced? Are there still some out there?

The last I read the Wiki, yes.

man. this tells you all the usage options for pretty much any other command line program. man is short for manual. wanna know all the things you can see with ls? man ls.

1 Like

Some terminal commands that are worth knowing in any distribution.

All of the basic commands for which much information is available elsewhere:
ls, mv, cp, cd, rm, rmdir, mkdir

Commands you should learn to use that have entire guides dedicate to their usage:
find, grep, less, ps, chown, chmod

Show a list of your disks and partitions
lsblk

Show all your mounted partitions, how much space is used and how much is free:
df -h

Create symbolic link:
ln -s <source> <target>

Shutdown the system:
systemctl poweroff

Reboot:
systemctl reboot

List all the potential systemd unit files:(useful when you want to enable one but you can't remember the exact name)
systemctl list-unit-files

Start/stop/enable/disable a service:
systemctl start|stop|enable|disable <service>

Get information about a command:
which <command>

Get help on the usage of a command:
man <command>

Dump the contents of a file to the screen:
cat <filename>

Run a command as root or another user:
sudo <command>

15 Likes

This should be in the Wiki. A list of useful commands.

think you should strike through that command
rm -rf /
or add strong warning: dont't try this

for man, when you don't know the exact command/page name, can use
man -k <keyword>
to search that word (this may give too much results though)
like man unmount give no entry, man -k unmount would tell you that, it's actually umount

3 Likes

I strongly agree about having warnings about using rm -rf, also here is a warning about executing random shell scripts gotten of the random website:

Don't do this without reading the entire script. look for this command and other harmful ones that could brickr you system or lose your data.

1 Like

There are also many videos on youtube, example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cPkmVQIsoc

Joe Collin has a series of Bash tutorials on YouTube.

2 Likes

I kind of felt like "Irrevocably delete a substantial portion of the data on your system, likely rendering the system unusable" was a strong warning.

However, since it was intended to be funny and I seem to be the only one finding it amusing I have removed it.

2 Likes

That warning should be in place for folks new to Linux or to using the command line.

Anyone that uses random commands prior to learning their intended usage deserves the results: A) a lesson on how to re-install Linux, B) a lesson regarding the importance of data/system backups.

To misquote F. Scott Fitzgerald, "A code of moral conduct can be learned in the soft sand or on the rocky shore." Meaning you can learn life-lessons either the easy way or the hard way, but either way you will learn them. Based on my personal experience and observations, I conclude that holds equally true for Linux users. :smiley:

That being said, on a morning in August 1987 I received my first computer, an IBM-PC. By that afternoon I had learned how to backup and re-install PC-DOS. For some odd reason, I just couldn't ignore that "Are you sure(Y/N)?" flag. :wink: :wink: :wink:

I don't think it helps anyone to hide an Operating System's command structure.

Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. ~Doug Gwyn

regards

3 Likes

I agree it doesn't help anyone to hide the OS's command structure at all. When I decided to switch to Linux, I brought a box set of Mandrake due to not having a CD-burner at the time and being on dial-up and so I would have a manual as well. I also brought serval books on Linux as well.

That reminds me, I need to get a printed manual on using the Linux command line and Bash and start reading it.

Cool, I didn't know Mandrake sold boxed-sets then. My Mandrake was a CD (I had a burner), but I gladly "supported" SuSE by buying their boxed sets ($60 USD?) with that beautiful green manual. :smiley:

regards

I brought the box set off their web store. It cost me $50 if I remember right. It included the Manual and nonfree stuff as well along with some game demos. Sin and some other games.

1 Like

I seem to remember Mandrake being one of the distros that you could buy in the store along with Red Hat.

I remember being surprised when Linux started showing up in boxes on the shelves of my local Electronics Boutique(A software store that used to exist in the US).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by