Testing and trimming the new Openbox Edition

New edition of Manjaro Openbox is seeing the light of dawn.

Will you help?

Please note

Using Switch Menu will give you a dynamic generated openbox menu. Selecting Switch Menu again will go back to the static menu.

openbox-switch-menu

Use Super (Win) key or Alt+F1 to launch a global dynamic rofi menu with search.

ATM I have no intention of maintaining an ISO with stable branch.

Should you prefer stable I recommend using Manjaro Architect - and install any branch you like.

openbox-installers

kernel 416 unstable iso not that unstable :slight_smile:

If you prefer ISO - a signed ISO can be downloaded from

SourceForge.net

Signature and checksums available at download location.

The following post is created as wiki so please add your issues in that post with a short description. It will make it easier for me to mark them as solved :slight_smile: - please.

Thank you to all who will participate :+1:

inspiration and source

The greatest honor an open-source developer can get is when other people reuse his work. That means he produced something worth borrowing.

The menus, polybar etc - is a courtesy of ArchLabs Minimo from which I borrowed things like scripts, pipemenus, menu switcher, bar/dock config UI.

@anon61381014 know I am making this Manjaro Edition and I would like to thank him and the other ArchLabs guys for the work they are letting me use. :100: :+1:

Screenshots

https://ibb.co/gti44x
https://ibb.co/jiEYxH
https://ibb.co/cnMrjx
https://ibb.co/j0D44x
https://ibb.co/h5FvBc
https://ibb.co/jHCaBc

12 Likes

Issues

Oh?! It got added to Architect! I need to try it out when I get home from work!

I hope someone will continue the development of Manjaro Fluxbox too, so that it can be added to Architect.

Typing from your livecd.
Nice. Thanks and good job.
I like Openbox for its simplicity but I usually install using 'net-install' or a very basic bare-bones.
Only things I add are tint2 for panel and feh for a wallpaper besides my apps.
Configure using rc.xml and menu.xml.

But I like testing 'full' Openbox versions like yours here.
Nice. Cheers.

ps: it's the Openbox version that got me started on Manjaro.

1 Like

when I know the - as you call it - full version works I will make most of the packages extra so an installation with Manjaro Architect has a selection of a barebone Manjaro to customize vs a more full version.

1 Like

Yes, I know. And tested too. But I already have a few barebone versions I installed. I'm right now on the OB I made from the Ubuntu server install. :grin:.

I do have one made from Manjaro net-install some time ago but it's kde'fied (konsole, dolphin....) and the rest is usually lxterminal, pcmanfm, etc...I like sddm because I find it sturdier and it's in all of my OB's. Also I personally don't prefer the GTK stuff. That's why I usually have to build it up from scratch. I still have LXQT (and install every version since) and hope Manjaro can make more developments on it.

Cheers, good luck and best wishes.

1 Like

maybe you could add, "by selecting the *(Unstable) branch" , within m-a, -just a minor footnote for those wanting to test this openbox in m-a.

anyway, thx for adding this profile to m-a.

1 Like

Installing now. I was thinking this might happen soon when I saw so much activity in git repos. :smiley: I'm eager to see if it is a contender for the title of the lightest edition :wink:

Openbox used to be one of the three official editions (xfce, net, openbox) and it is what drew me into manjaro and window managers back in the day. I'm excited about this old newcomer :smiley:

1 Like

and if we could get @Holmes JWM profiles, we could have a WM horse race.
:wink:

He has made them public, so a race we have! :grin:

1 Like

@Chrysostomus
On a minor note, although this may be more of a m-a TTY issue?, I noticed during pkg downloading/installs, it repeated/echoed multiple lines on the console.
Example:

downloading xyz.1-2-3.pkg.xz ...

...the above did not show up in the final "/.m-a.log" file,
only on the console during install.

It is - I remember @Chrysostomus commenting on it - a pacman thingy?

1 Like

Moved to Testing and trimming the new Openbox Edition

Ram usage:

Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used	Program

324.0 KiB + 106.0 KiB = 430.0 KiB	xcape
324.0 KiB + 141.5 KiB = 465.5 KiB	lvmetad
372.0 KiB + 162.5 KiB = 534.5 KiB	rtkit-daemon
652.0 KiB + 114.5 KiB = 766.5 KiB	crond
408.0 KiB + 571.0 KiB = 979.0 KiB	xfsettingsd
448.0 KiB + 561.0 KiB =   1.0 MiB	bash
660.0 KiB + 436.5 KiB =   1.1 MiB	login
432.0 KiB + 698.0 KiB =   1.1 MiB	avahi-daemon (2)
936.0 KiB + 306.0 KiB =   1.2 MiB	xfconfd
  1.0 MiB + 380.5 KiB =   1.3 MiB	at-spi-bus-launcher
  1.0 MiB + 511.5 KiB =   1.5 MiB	at-spi2-registryd
  1.2 MiB + 418.0 KiB =   1.6 MiB	gvfsd-fuse
  1.0 MiB + 672.5 KiB =   1.6 MiB	systemd-logind
  1.3 MiB + 531.0 KiB =   1.9 MiB	gvfsd
  1.1 MiB + 834.5 KiB =   1.9 MiB	(sd-pam)
  1.4 MiB + 755.0 KiB =   2.2 MiB	skippy-xd
  1.8 MiB + 573.0 KiB =   2.3 MiB	sudo
  1.7 MiB + 825.0 KiB =   2.5 MiB	dbus-daemon (3)
  2.2 MiB + 683.0 KiB =   2.9 MiB	systemd-udevd
  2.5 MiB + 587.0 KiB =   3.1 MiB	gnome-keyring-daemon
  3.2 MiB + 188.0 KiB =   3.4 MiB	zsh
  2.5 MiB +   1.3 MiB =   3.7 MiB	lightdm (2)
  4.0 MiB + 133.5 KiB =   4.1 MiB	wpa_supplicant
  4.3 MiB + 441.0 KiB =   4.7 MiB	opensnap
  2.3 MiB +   3.1 MiB =   5.4 MiB	systemd (2)
  5.0 MiB +   1.2 MiB =   6.2 MiB	trayer
  5.7 MiB +   1.3 MiB =   7.0 MiB	pulseaudio
  5.1 MiB +   2.0 MiB =   7.1 MiB	openbox
  6.9 MiB + 486.0 KiB =   7.4 MiB	compton
  7.9 MiB +   1.2 MiB =   9.0 MiB	NetworkManager
  8.7 MiB + 697.0 KiB =   9.4 MiB	polkitd
  8.8 MiB + 618.0 KiB =   9.4 MiB	systemd-journald
  6.8 MiB +   2.7 MiB =   9.5 MiB	polybar
  9.8 MiB +   3.8 MiB =  13.6 MiB	lxpolkit
 10.6 MiB +   4.4 MiB =  15.0 MiB	xfce4-settings
 29.1 MiB +   1.2 MiB =  30.3 MiB	Xorg
---------------------------------
                        175.6 MiB
=================================

Significantly lighter than i3 edition, but not yet at jwm levels (which might be difficult with openbox anyway).

This is very fully featured edition, with xfsettingsd. It seems to have calamares and manjaro-settings-manager too, so it has gtk2, gtk3 and qt5. If going this route, I would suggest adding compton-conf. No reason not to have it if qt5 is included.

If you want to go lighter, as the title suggests, then It is most readily achieved by using lxde components instead of xfce ones. This let's you drop gtk2 entirely and have no need for settings daemon running. This trims down iso size and ram usage at the same time. I prefer stalonetray over trayer because it is lighter.

I really like your polybar config, but it has some issues: It is not the lightest option out there and the menus without text are are not easy to understand by glance, and the networkindicator does not open any interface. Ideally it should open nmtui or networkmanager_dmenu. Speaking of which, networkmanager_dmenu is misconfigured and does not work. You can use rofi for it to make it work like a dropdown menu, like in the end of this video:

I would favor mygtkmenui instead of jgmenu for better gtk integration and faster submenus. You seem to using the arthur theme for rofi. I also used it as base for bspwm edition. I also really like that you have adopted the tiler style keybindings for workspaces. :slightly_smiling_face: Maybe you could also include keybindings for terminal, filemanager and browser?

For themes I would suggest enabling the included adapta-breath themes and Vibrancy colors light teal. I would use slick greeter for lightdm because it fits better your chosen background. For terminal I would suggest lxterminal-gtk3 instead of termite unless you have a specific reason to use termite. There is also urxvt and sterminal, but you seem to want transparency.

1 Like

super and t, w, f, e.

I have thought of going lx with all components and you areright about the theming .

2 Likes

May I suggest icon for the main panel menu? Font-logos has it:

ļ„’

I'm not sure about geany as the only editor. On one hand it is excellent for editing xml that openbox uses a lot. On the other hand, it always opens files in a new tab without raising it's window. Considering that you have no window buttons and that geany can be in another workspace, this can become incovenient. I have geany open in workspace 4 and click a text file in thunar in workspace 1. Seemingly nothing happens. Maybe add another minimal editor like micro-manjaro or l3afpad to supplement it? Something light for casual text editing and geany for serious business?

Also: If you are using lightdm, why not use light-locker for screenlock? i3lock without backgroung image is a bit... alienating

1 Like

I'm trying not to tell you how you should run your edition - but I'm totally telling you how to run your edition, aren't I? :joy: Sorry if I butt in too much, remember that you are not obligated to follow any of my suggestions :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Looking good so far. Is there a list of the shortcuts? (xml files are a pain to read!).

1 Like

@linux-aarhus, you're welcome. Gonna check this out myself.

1 Like

@Chrysostomus

I have no experience - only my own - which annoys me sometimes - I need every piece of input.

I see this trimming as getting it as user friendly as it is possible - so I appreciate all suggestions.

@xircon
The desktop menu has a Keybinds entry.

Forum kindly sponsored by