Testing and trimming the new Openbox Edition

The theming has improved a lot!

I also have the same issue with the panel menu fonts. Also, I still feel that this menu is quite slow to open its submenus.

further:

• If you use rofi for networkmanager_dmenu, use a monospaced font like terminus to avoid this:
    2018-03-27-093922_1920x1080_scrot
    Rofi cannot align columns without a monospaced font.
  • Chromium looks better in this environment with gtk theme enabled. I achieve this in bspwm edition with manjaro-browser-settigns-native, but you may look into other solutions too (because that package also sets browser to use system titlebars, which might not be ideal in openbox)
1 Like

I am missing the source code pro font which the arthur theme uses.
Will add it

1 Like

righclick on the rocket

change

font = Ubuntu ....

to

font             = Roboto Regular 12px

will fix the profile too

3 Likes

Great looking Openbox. Had the same font problem as above, fixed it. Just exploring the system now. Installed full edition from Manjaro Architect on old HP G62.

2 Likes

The profile has been updated and the settings package has been updated.

A updated iso has been build and is available from location in OP

1 Like

I would suggest for the polybar mainmenu one of these:

1 Like

I thought of that

Also thought of that

But how to generate the menu? It seems a difficult task to create the menu.

Well, bspwm edition just has a static menu like this:

It is sufficient but has obvious issues.

There used to be a perl script to generate menu for mygtkmenu, but mygtkmenui has slightly different syntax. If you want to have dynamic categorized app menu for it, we could wrote a script for it in bash, or more likely dash. That's probably unnecessary dublication of of effort though.

I think - the openbox menu is the most obvious and - easy choice.

It requires no more apps - in fact remove one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Native solution is no doubt the best.

Do I see it correctly that there is stable iso available ??

It is build against stable branch - yes - it is entirely unofficial.

Only difference between stable and unstable are the repo from which the packages are drawn.

1 Like

wow it looks emazing

2 Likes

glad you like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

in french i have only one categorie in menu "autre"(en:other) ?
and 2 "file manager" + one "file manager thunar"
(font fixed)

https://s19.postimg.org/z1peb8geb/acapture_0328_200726.png

iso unstable

for info, exist one respin openbox manjaro by @Elrondo46 https://www.tuxnvape.fr
https://minzord.lxa.li/tuxnvape/openbox/

@linux-aarhus, this is coming along nicely.

Others have reported the same but it comes along .

I think it has something to do with the menu's cache but I don't really know - I will investigate.

I just installed the latest stable openbox and it is very nice.
I like the addition of tint2 to polybar and that they can coexist.

There's still the issue with the window resolution under virtualbox, as reported before, it's too small.

This resolution issue continues when the installed vm starts, but at least, there's an option to change resolution manually.

I'm glad the menu is obmenu-generator. It's my favorite.

The one thing I think is very important, and missing, is for the menu to auto-update each time something is installed.

Unless the user likes it "the Arch way", no one likes to not know what's available for using. And the easiest way is to find it on the menu.
For example, I removed chromium, installed SeaMonkey, but it wasn't on my menu.
So, I thought to set SeaMonkey as my web browser.
But I didn't know where its located, and there's no search available (or, none listed on the menu)....

You see my point?

So, I changed the beautiful and well organized menu.xml to the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<openbox_menu xmlns="http://openbox.org/"
 xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
  xsi:schemaLocation="http://openbox.org/">
    <menu id="root-menu" label="obmenu-generator" execute="/usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/obmenu-generator -i" />
</openbox_menu>

and voila, although the menu is less beautifully organized, it has all the apps available for the user.
I know the menu.xml can be combined of constant part and "auto-updating" part. So apps can be added but terminal, nitrogen, etc, can be static.

In addition, I think some file search is important to include as well.

That's my 2 cents for now.

Thank you for this beautiful edition. I always liked Openbox ever since my first time with Linux distro (not too long ago)

Oops, sorry for the length :sunny:

If menu is generated, then a pacman hook would be an excellent candidate to update the menu. That way there is no performance overhead of generating the menu constantly, but menu is always up to date when something is installed.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you like it. I know the point which is why both options are present. In the installed version you have the Switch Menu entry.

EDIT: Have you tried Alt+F1 or Super (Win) which opens a windows with all registered apps.

The concept of using only a window manager and not a complete desktop environment are not for the faint of heart. The concept is for the user which likes the minimalist approach and the configuring which is why I make this edition with as little preconfigured as possible leaving it up to the user to tweak and adjust.

The initial layout will of course reflect my personal taste, that is inevitable :slight_smile:

I still do not know why that issue persist. With the live ISO it is precisely the same code that generates all other Manjaro editions and to my knowledge it is the mhwd tool which facilitates the installation of virtualbox-guest-utils if installing from the ISO.

If installing in VirtualBox using Architect user must select to install virtualbox-guest-utils.

EDIT: Installed in VirtualBox with Architect. No problems with screen. resizing.
EDIT: Launched ISO from in VirtualBox. No problems with screen.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by