Testing and trimming the new Openbox Edition

No idea what happened just now. I wrote already when I clicked the Rocket I would get a menu with a box with 9 dots and the text Other. Hovering that a new menu would open, one column and extremely long containing all items.
I wanted to show that so I installed the xfce Screenshot utility and now when clicking the rocket I get a starting menu organized in groups, more like other DE's have it.
Menu-item Other is now one of the items, where it was the only one.

1 Like

A guess would be that it requires time to populate on first run.

That must be why @Chrysostomus recommends another menu - which I will check out - mygtkmenui

1 Like

Right-clicking doesn't do anything. I can click as much as I want, nothing appears or starts.

Must be something I have corrected in poly config.

It can be confusing however when right clicking and an editor opens with some text :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm having a problem with this link, namely its giving me an empty folder.

You are right - I am updating the iso ATM - return in 15 minutes a kernel 414 minimal will be available and another 15 a full ISO will be available.

Ah, my timing is perfect as always in other words. I finally notice that you've put something together, and go to download it just as you're working on it.

Oh, and if you haven't already, I might suggest looking at ArchLabs R2D2 which is a really nice Arch OB distro for ideas.

Actually I borrowed a lot from ArchLabs Minimo as mentioned in OP

A minimal iso is now available

Dynamic menu is often slower than a static one (except for rofi and morc_menu). However, I think this might also have to do with the icons. If you set the icon theme in gtk3 settings, the menu opens faster and has icons.

1 Like

I started live iso
https://www.uex.dk/public/dev-iso/
Booted with en_US language settings and I got some issues with fonts in menu

After installing to hard disk , it is still the same.

1 Like

The theming has improved a lot!

I also have the same issue with the panel menu fonts. Also, I still feel that this menu is quite slow to open its submenus.

further:

• If you use rofi for networkmanager_dmenu, use a monospaced font like terminus to avoid this:
    2018-03-27-093922_1920x1080_scrot
    Rofi cannot align columns without a monospaced font.
  • Chromium looks better in this environment with gtk theme enabled. I achieve this in bspwm edition with manjaro-browser-settigns-native, but you may look into other solutions too (because that package also sets browser to use system titlebars, which might not be ideal in openbox)
1 Like

I am missing the source code pro font which the arthur theme uses.
Will add it

1 Like

righclick on the rocket

change

font = Ubuntu ....

to

font             = Roboto Regular 12px

will fix the profile too

3 Likes

Great looking Openbox. Had the same font problem as above, fixed it. Just exploring the system now. Installed full edition from Manjaro Architect on old HP G62.

2 Likes

The profile has been updated and the settings package has been updated.

A updated iso has been build and is available from location in OP

1 Like

I would suggest for the polybar mainmenu one of these:

1 Like

I thought of that

Also thought of that

But how to generate the menu? It seems a difficult task to create the menu.

Well, bspwm edition just has a static menu like this:

It is sufficient but has obvious issues.

There used to be a perl script to generate menu for mygtkmenu, but mygtkmenui has slightly different syntax. If you want to have dynamic categorized app menu for it, we could wrote a script for it in bash, or more likely dash. That's probably unnecessary dublication of of effort though.

I think - the openbox menu is the most obvious and - easy choice.

It requires no more apps - in fact remove one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by