[Testing Update] 2019-08-23 - Nvidia 430.40, Certbot, Steam

Thanks for the heads-up. I too think that epochs shouldn't be used in testing and unstable. I'll pass through IgnorePkg then, at least if there will not be release a nvidia-beta as stated by @philm. And yes I agree that the release should have a more stable driver and not a beta one, only hoping to have the possibility to choose between the two for now because on my setup I really have better performance with offload instead of bumblebee.

Update went smooth, but Arch package Julia 1.2 has an issue: its own package management system is not updating

But I did update both packages:

[2019-08-23 09:09] [ALPM] upgraded linux52-nvidia (1:435.17-2 -> 2:430.40-2)
[2019-08-23 09:09] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   > Updating module dependencies...
[2019-08-23 09:09] [ALPM] upgraded linux52-acpi_call (1.1.0-12 -> 1.1.0-13)
[2019-08-23 09:09] [ALPM] upgraded linux52 (5.2.9-1 -> 5.2.9-2)

What do you mean?

You told that you went to stable and downgraded to fix your issue. If the kernel is the issue having a longer boot let me know by installing only those needed packages.

If you use xfce you may want to clear your saved sessions.

OK, I understand. Now I see that in testing, there is linux52-nvidia-2:430.40-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz, whereas earlier this morning I upgraded to 435.17-2.
That's probably the reason.

This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life! :joy:

PS - I went back to using Nvidia 418.74 because 435.17 still had some issues for me (color smearing on interlaced videos while seeking in mpv in cuda hwdec mode, only fixed by using cuda-copy which uses more cpu). So 430.40 revert does not concern me. I hope this all sorts itself out eventually.

1 Like

I am not sure about the wisdom of back tracking the Nvidia drivers. The last release had a 98% favourable rating. There are always going to be issues with something with some people but this is a testing branch. Going backward and just waiting for the next "golden, fix it all" Nvidia drivers may help only a few while depraving the majority of valid fixes.
As for me, 435 is just fine and I hold off this unnecessary release. My grain of salt with my two cents ..:wink:

Well, with 435 a lot has changed in regard of PRIME and even Nvidia is still experimenting. We will release a nvidia-beta package, but for 18.1 we will go with 430 series, most likely.

1 Like

Please check if the julia overlay package helps.

I also got the

(42/49) installing lib32-libindicator-gtk2                         [------------------------------------] 100%
Unable to open directory usr/lib32/gio/modules: Error opening directory “usr/lib32/gio/modules”: No such file or directory
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
julia: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache exists in filesystem

shall I force installation?

No, let me try to repack. Might take 30 mins.

Got steam-native-runtime updated on your end?

Been posted already, but also appeared here.

Installing lib32-libindicator-gtk2 (12.10.1-7)...
Configuring lib32-libindicator-gtk2...
Unable to open directory usr/lib32/gio/modules: Error opening directory “usr/lib32/gio/modules”: No such file or directory

Edit: Applied new updates and no errors were thrown.

Apparently not. I see it now.
I just installed steam last night too. :confused:


Edit: just installed steam-native-runtime and it pulled in even more lib32s.
Seems to fix the issue. I double checked to make sure and lib32-libindicator-gtk2 doesn't throw an error.
That was an interesting circular ride of lib32s. :dizzy:

Thanks you Sir.

Seems to be some changes to steam-manjaro then. Any issues due to that?

i do, but steam-native complains of missing file

~ >>> pacman -Fo /usr/bin/steam-native                                                                                                                                                                             
usr/bin/steam-native is owned by multilib/steam-native-runtime
~ >>> steam-native                                                                                                                                                                                                 
/usr/bin/steam-native: line 9: /usr/lib/steam/steam: No such file or directory
~ >>>                     

Upgrade, downgrade, all the same to me. My saved configuration in nvidia held even with dropping back to 340. Yay!

@Ste74: seems the latest changes on steam packages don't work. Can you double check them again. Simply repacking won't work at all.

To me, that looks fine. I'm not exactly sure what's happening though.
It's quite the ride of dependencies...

This might have been user error on my part?
Last night when I installed Steam I chose multilib/steam-manjaro (2.7 MiB 3.0 MiB) (Installed)
And not multilib/steam-native-runtime (8.2 KiB 44.0 KiB) (Installed)

Perhaps that was the issue?
Steam ran fine though. Even played a a little "Surviving Mars" (and sucked at it).

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by