[Testing Update] 2020-06-16 - Kernel, Browser, KDE, Cinnamon, Deepin, Haskell, Mesa, Virtualbox

It doesn't fix the issue, thank you very much anyways... :grinning:

Hey phil, you wouldn't happen to be willing to ship to america would you? That facemask on offer is hilarious and would love to buy one...

Only 78 updates? Oh well, nice job. See Extra Repository caught up with Stable.

this update changed font rendering
pre-update:
Captura de pantalla de 2020-06-17 15-31-56
post-update:
Captura de pantalla de 2020-06-17 15-44-40

Are you sure this wasn't an update on the site's side? Fonts are rendered in the browser so either FF changed something, or the site itself. It rather has nothing to do with the Plasma.

im 100% sure, in fact i downgraded fontconfig both normal and lib32 and got old fonts back:
after downgrade: Captura de pantalla de 2020-06-17 16-03-24

What happens if you create new user? Are icons gone as well?

1 Like

When I create a new user the systray applet works as usual with the tipical network, audio, clipboard icons. So I understand that the issue is with my main user...

I updated and the first thing that I noticed is: why the system tray is so empty? Where is keyboard language, where is the vault? Where is clipboard, wifi, sound, bluetooth, notifications?

After Plasma 5.19.1 update:

Screenshot_20200617_162124

Before update:

Screenshot_20200420_225808-2

And no, those elements are not hidden. They are just not there on systray:

Screenshot_20200617_162939

That's exactly the same that happens with my system on my VM. However, if I create another user the desktop loads as usually.

So configs must went wrong or the updated packages cannot read them. I won't create another user, as there are too many personalizations, not just on desktop but with all programs.

The fact that this issue is not a singular happening, shows that this update got something wrong, and we have to find a fix for it.

1 Like

I have this VM just for fun and testing, it doesn't mind if I break something, so I can help. However, I don't know how to start because my skills are limited...

I do not have this problem after the update, all icons are there, so I can't test myself, but maybe resetting your appletsrc config may help.
Try something like this and re-login:
rm ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc && qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 0 3 3

I have one machine unreliably (more often than not) taking quite a long time to boot up (several minutes as opposed to serveral seconds otherwise) and spewing errors at boot:

Jun 17 16:36:02 neptun systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Unexpected error response from GetNameOwner(): Connection terminated
Jun 17 16:36:02 neptun systemd[1]: NetworkManager.service: Unexpected error response from GetNameOwner(): Connection terminated
Jun 17 16:36:02 neptun systemd[1]: systemd-machined.service: Unexpected error response from GetNameOwner(): Connection terminated
Jun 17 16:36:02 neptun systemd[1]: avahi-daemon.service: Unexpected error response from GetNameOwner(): Connection terminated
Jun 17 16:36:02 neptun systemd[1]: thermald.service: Unexpected error response from GetNameOwner(): Connection terminated
Jun 17 16:36:02 neptun systemd[1]: ModemManager.service: Unexpected error response from GetNameOwner(): Connection terminated
Jun 17 16:36:02 neptun systemd[1]: polkit.service: Unexpected error response from GetNameOwner(): Connection terminated

Found this related systemd issue:

and this thread here:

The described workaround to remove systemd from passwd and group in /etc/nsswitch.conf works for now.

2 Likes
[Testing Update] 2020-06-23 - Kernel, KDE-git, Cinnamon, Firefox, Pamac, Plasma, Deepin
[Testing Update] 2020-06-23 - Kernel, KDE-git, Cinnamon, Firefox, Pamac, Plasma, Deepin
[Testing Update] 2020-06-25 - Kernel, Plasma 5.19.2, Perl, Calamares, AMDVLK, Cinnamon, Deepin
[Testing Update] 2020-06-26 - Kernels, Mesa 20.1.2, Haskell
[Testing Update] 2020-07-31 - Kernels, Plasma 5.19.4, Firefox 79, Deepin, UKUI, Systemd, Python
[Testing Update] 2020-07-04 - Firefox, Jade, Deepin, LibreOffice, Curl
[Testing Update] 2020-07-08 - Kernel, Deepin, Gnome, Gambas, Plasma 5.19.3
[Testing Update] 2020-07-10 - Kernels, Deepin, KDE Apps 20.04.3, Firefox 78.0.2
[Testing Update] 2020-07-11 - KDE-git, Firefox-beta, AMDVLK 2020.Q3-1, Fixes to Plasma 5.19.3
[Testing Update] 2020-08-07 - Kernels, KDE-git, Browser, AMDVLK, Mesa, Haskell, Python
[Testing Update] 2020-08-08 - Browsers, Systemd, Firmware, Pamac
[Testing Update] 2020-07-14 - KDE Frameworks 5.72, Linux57 with FSync, Firefox, Python, Haskell
[Testing Update] 2020-07-15 - Palemoon, Linux57 with Fsync/Futex, Vulkan-ICD, Deepin
[Testing Update] 2020-07-17 - Kernels, Firmware
Sometimes hang on login
[Testing Update] 2020-07-01 - Kernel, Fonts, Deepin, Browser, Thunderbird, Nvidia, AMDVLK
[Stable Staging Update] 2020-07-17 - Kernels, KDE, LibreOffice, Mesa, Cinnamon, Deepin, Pamac, Browsers
[Stable Update] 2020-07-19 - Kernels, KDE, LibreOffice, Mesa, Cinnamon, Deepin, Pamac, Browsers
[Testing Update] 2020-07-22 - Kernels, VirtualBox, NextCloud, Deepin, OpenJDK
[Testing Update] 2020-07-25 - Kernels, Deepin, Mesa, AMDVLK, Python

It doesn't fix... I've already deleted the desktop-appletsrc file with no success... :pensive:

I submitted a bug. The fact that some are experiencing it is worrisome. The update process must be fixed before stable update.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=423107

@Bleuzen, I'll try what you suggested and report back.

1 Like

This command was ment for @acutbal, because he said he can break the VM.
If you do this on your main machine you may loose some settings like favourite programs and some panel settings. Not sure if you really want this.
You may want to create a backup of this file before or you will have to reconfigure some things (shouldn't be too hard either).

Yeah, that is what I did:

cp ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.bak
rm ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc && qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 0 3 3

Session relogged and it gave me black screen (no wallpaper) and default Plasma panel at the bottom. However, this didn't fix the issue. Both, the systray on latte and on default's panel is missing elements.
I restored my previous config.

My test user doesn't have this problem, so this is happening for personalized systray and the issue is within configs. Which one? Hmm... I submitted a bug and hope that someone will reveal more about it.

2 Likes

I've got the same issue - for now it seems it is every boot for me.
I think the cause for the "unexpected errors" is this:

Jun 17 18:32:46 Manjaro-ZZ nm-dispatcher[1625]: Error releasing name org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher: Timeout was reached
Jun 17 18:32:57 Manjaro-ZZ dbus-daemon[1490]: [system] Connection has not authenticated soon enough, closing it (auth_timeout=30000ms, elapsed: 45055ms)
Jun 17 18:32:57 Manjaro-ZZ systemd[1]: NetworkManager-wait-online.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 17 18:32:57 Manjaro-ZZ systemd[1]: NetworkManager-wait-online.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 17 18:32:57 Manjaro-ZZ systemd[1]: Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online.

This errors don't appear with the nsswitch.conf workaround.
Downgrading Networkmanager to 1.24.0 didn't help.

I had the Network-Applet missing with this error, too (but had internet connection) - but i don't know if that is related to acutbal's issue. With the workaround the applet is here again.

Forum kindly sponsored by