[Testing Update] 2020-07-14 - KDE Frameworks 5.72, Linux57 with FSync, Firefox, Python, Haskell

Still having the tray menu problems I wrote about a few updates ago.

Workaround for now is to delay the auto start of Telegram and Pamac.

Everything else is fine.

1 Like

Confirm, I noticed it too. Was same on rc4 (probably previous too)

Updated via TTY and everything good so far XFCE, Kernel 5.7, nouveau Thank you

Updated and everything working as expected. Using kernel 5.7.8, GNOME, nvidia drivers.

BTW for almost a week I've been observing the following issue: when fullscreen app blocks compositing as per attached setting, any click inside such just launched app minimizes it. Fullscreen apps also cannot be unminimized with a mouse click, the only way to do it is to use Alt+Tab. I don't know what's causing this. Feels like something is stealing the focus.
Screenshot_20200715_004234

I'm on Unstable branch though. Can anyone confirm the same on Testing?
Also it seems to be not related to Nvidia driver, no difference on this matter between 450.57, 450.51 and 440.100.

Updated from Stable to Testing today, on KDE with Nvidia drivers and Kernel 5.7 (5.4 works too), so far no problem and fsync seems to be working :+1: I hoped for the patch to be in official for long time :smiley: thanks (that made me decide to switch branch)!

I noticed the Pamac tray icon seems to have disappeared. No output when I try to launch it from the terminal.

Thanks for the info!
This provides no functional difference yet, for the moment it's only trying to establish a new interface if I read that lkml link correctly.

Two systems updated, one rebooted with no issue that I can see. When I reboot the second system will report if there are any issues. Looks good at this point though.

I suggest we publish everything as it is immediately and watch the world burn.

4 Likes

Eyjafjallajökull eruption, it's 2020 after all! :joy:

2 Likes

Because Gnome sucks!

Seriously though, this doesn't belong here. And it has been asked many many times. Please stop spamming the "wen update" question constantly. If you want more updates switch to testing, it's that simple.

6 Likes

My vote is for the Yellowstone Super Volcano to go off. Planet wide ice age the last time it erupted, and it is overdue to erupt.

Will the Nvidia 450 branch be added soon or is that something for later in future updates?

woot woot. Please see 5.7.8-8.

1 Like

What is fsync? I googled it, and the only thing I saw was about syncing file changes to disk. I don't think that is the what the kernel patch does.

I think it's Valve's thing for Proton. The patches are actually to do with futex (reposting https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200612185122.327860-1-andrealmeid@collabora.com/)

I switched to Testing because I felt tired of waiting for updates on Stable, especially when there is a new version of KDE. This is my first update on Testing and it went through fine. Good job Manjaro team

4 Likes

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/7252 https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/67277 affects testing right now. Probably a good idea to avoid getting that package to stable.

Confirmed by a user in the manjaro telegram:

Edit: Not confirmed to be testing exclsuive, false alarm maybe?

Hello everyone...

Is there anybody reading this thread with an Optimus (nvidia-intel) laptop, who can confirm if the new nvidia 440.100 driver has solved this old issue: (?)

sd-unmount[xxxx]: Failed to unmount /oldroot: Device or resource busy
sd-unmount[xxxx]: Failed to unmount /oldroot/sys: Device or resource busy
shutdown[1]:Failed to finalize file systems, ignoring

Unfortunately I'm away from home, and the only thing I have with me here, is my brother's Optimus laptop which has Linux Mint 20 pre-installed. This latest LM 20 uses the nvidia 440.100 driver which seems that it has addressed this issue, and the message no longer exists...

But I would like to hear that manjaro testing, also has addressed this issue.

Thx

That user has had issues for a few days - most Proton-based games don't start. It could even be something like https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/67277 (which I just hit myself).

Forum kindly sponsored by