The Falkon browser exploits a lot of memory resource.

The Falkon browser exploits a lot of memory resource. I use 4 web browsers at the same time to view youtube on different workspaces. The result was that falkon is the 1st, it exploits a lot of memory resource. The 2nd is Firefox then opera then chromium. A browser qt falkon must be lightweight but the truth it uses a lot of memory

This has nothing to do with Qt but with the fact that Falkon uses the same browsing engine as Google Chrome/Chromium.

Falkon is also a work in progress ─ it's a relatively new browser that builds upon the work done in Qupzilla earlier, and it is still in its infancy ─ so you should cut it some slack. :wink:

1 Like

I use both Icecat and Falkon all the time and Falkon runs at 2% cpu load, and that is with video playing. No problem here.

1 Like

How to reduce it?

For falkon qt engine takes 600 mb, and the instance of falkon 300mb almost 1giga of ram, then firefox 600 mb

That is not what I said ─ your translator doesn't seem to work very well. Please don't translate my words into French when you are quoting me, because then you are making it very hard for me to ascertain what you are quoting from what I said. I do speak French, but not very well.

The expression "cut it some slack" means "be forgiving toward it".

There is no way to reduce the memory footprint of any application, because memory management is entirely in the hands of the kernel, and the kernel will page out memory contents to the swap partition if it doesn't need those contents in the moment itself and it needs to free up more memory for other things.

2 Likes

exploit definition

An exploit is a general term for any method used by hackers to gain unauthorized access to computers, the act itself of a hacking attack, or a hole in a system's security that opens a system to an attack.
-- https://www.techopedia.com/definition/4275/exploit

So a browser using a lot of resources is not an exploit - this is normal usage.

It is a common misconception that Linux is generally low on memory usage.

While it is entirely possible to run a Manjaro base system on 60M RAM it is highly unlikely (Manjaro base using CLI) given the number of processes running at any given time on a standard GUI based Linux system.

basic-manjaro-cli

What people tend to forget is that Linux is highly efficient using the available memory and that more memory leads to higher memory usage, and that is OK

unused memory is wasted memory

Have a look at linuxatemyram.com - and take the time needed to understand Linux RAM usage.

5 Likes

Yes thanks for your answers. I use Google translation because I'm bad at English. Indeed here is the state of use of memory and processor by 5 browsers where I use youtube.IMG_20191024_165853

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by