The gui doesn't launch after the non-free nvidia drivers installed

Hello everyone!
I am a manjaro rookie and I am trying to install the nvidia drivers.
I followed the guide in this wiki

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Configure_NVIDIA_(non-free)_settings_and_load_them_on_Startup#Install_NVIDIA_Drivers

I installed the driver successfully.
But when I reboot, the GUI didn't launch.
I entered the tty2 and try to find out what is the problem.
the output of inxi -G:

Grapthics: Card-1: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] driver:N/A
Display Server: X.org 1.19.6 driver: nvidia tty:128x48
Message: Advaced graphics data unavailable in console. Try -G --display

And the output of nvidia-smi:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed an running.

I guess the driver is not working ,

mhwd -li to confirm name of installed driver

Remove driver with command from Wiki Troubleshooting section further down same page with name of your installed driver

Manjaro Wiki: Manjaro Settings Manager - Hardware Detection

Did you update your system before installing new packages?

If not, switch to a text console (CTRL-ALT-F2), log in, and run:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f3
sudo pacman -Syyu

Or, actually, just run those commands anyway.

You might also find relevant information in existing threads:

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/search?q=black%20screen%20nvidia

What do you mean by the "gui"? Are you talking about the entire desktop itself or the nvidia-settings app?

Funny you should bring this up because I recently got a gtx 1060 and also ran the nonfree mhwd config. Everything went fine except for the screen tearing. Applied the "force composition pipeline" option and saved the xorg file, rebooted to a black screen with a mouse cursor. Very weird indeed.:neutral_face:

Turns out there's an easy fix: simply unplug and replug in the hdmi connector on the gpu and the full desktop then proceeds to load haha!

Btw, to anyone with editing privileges to the wiki, can you please modify this line: sudo gedit ~/.xinitrc -- that seems wrong?

This might be getting into the weeds a bit, but I again found a weird solution to this in my case. I'm assuming someone may be still searching "black screen with mouse cursor" so this is what I changed in /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf (after the default configuration was made by nvidia-settings), (note here that my primary monitor is on hdmi-0 and secondary is dp-3):

Option "metamodes" "HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On}, DP-3: nvidia-auto-select +1920+50 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On}

to this working configuration:

Option "metamodes" "HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On}"

^Somehow, this works and boots to the desktop and regains my custom nvidia settings that have my hdmi monitor at position +0+0 and my secondary at +1920+50 (to the right and down a little.) My guess is that lightdm screwed up and always wants the hdmi monitor as a secondary and refuses to load X if it's initially positioned at +0+0.

Very, very weird. :neutral_face:

1 Like

You may post all contents of conf file and your Xorg log to see what happens.

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Strange you should say that. My Virginmedia Box is connected the TV by HDMI.It randomly loses the sound connection - restarting or re-connecting the HDMI brings it back. Nowt to do with a PC or Nvidia,but just wondering if HDMI is a Factor?

Yeah it's possible, but I've got that option disabled in the xfce sound configuration options. I've got a somewhat-weird setup, 2 identical hdmi-only monitors but the gtx 1060 only has 1 hdmi connector, so I needed a fairly-expensive converter cable for the DP connector, it works though.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by