The most lightweight Manjaro version

I have a slow laptop with Windows 10 installed. I want to install Manjaro onto my laptop to make it run a little bit more faster and smoother. From the choices listed, which version should I download? I want it to be the most lightweight Manjaro edition/version.

Thanks.

bspwm by far

but you can customize other so that they come close. Just run sudo ps_mem to see which programs use the most RAM and research how to remove them.

One more question. Why are the versions different and do they matter?

Different in what sense?

Bspwm (17.1.7) and others are (17.1.12)

The higher version number is newer.

Here is the topic for the latest beta version:

I'm aware of that but why isn't Bspwm's version newer just like the other ones?

It is a bit different release model. It gets installed with a net-installer which downloads the current packages. The ISO doesn't need to be rebuilt as often as with an installer which unsquashes the ISO to disk.

Which version of Bspwm would you recommend installing? I'm going to remove Windows 10 and do a clean install of Manjaro.

I would recommend the newest. The older one might work ok, but you will need to refresh keys in the installer, for example.

When installing you will get asked to install a full or a minimal profile, select the minimal to see how minimal it can get. :wink: Depending on how much RAM is available it will use just 100-150 MB at start.

I don't know your experience level, therefore I'll warn you that bspwm could be difficult if you aren't used to it. try it from the live USB for a while before installing. I also advise to have an alternative live USB available with a more usual desktop environment.

1 Like

OK,

Thank you very much for your help! I've decided to go along with your recommendation. Hopefully after installing I'll return to discuss about how it went.

Here is a reference of RAM usage at startup without tweaking. (But I wrote that you can of course tweak after installation.)
https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/ram-consumption-of-different-manjaro-editions/41133?u=eugen-b

Can you please tell me what's difficult about it? I will use it for browsing the Web, watching videos and word processing.

Bspwm is basically a Window Manager and not a full desktop environment. If you are new to Linux I would advise you to install the Xfce edition instead as that will make things easier on you.

Thanks for the advice but I'm worried that my laptop will not handle Xfce very well. Like I mentioned earlier, I am going to use it minimally and for basic tasks.

What are your specs of the laptop?

Window managers can be a little intimidating at first, be advised.

Openbox edition, although almost as frugal as Bspwm or the others WM, it is a little bit more forgiving being a "floating window" paradigm like usual desktop environments, so you could give it a try also. Awesome WM, also has optional floating windows and titlebars, buttons and all that. It is heavier, but less so than XFCE still.

And anyway, coming from windows, you should give a try to the Live sessions of XFCE, Mate, or even better, LXDE/LXQT. Frankly, I would be deeply surprised if your machine can't run those particular two DE's. They are almost as light as WMs.

If your machine is even compatible with Win10 then you should be able to run just about any of these with no problems. Some of the heavier examples may need some tweaking ... but you can even get KDE down to 300-400M RAM usage with minimal effort.
The best idea is still probably to test out a few live versions and see what suits you best.
(both personally, and on resources)

2 Likes

Great advise. I once installed i3, and was left thinking, "What do I do with it?". After installing, I decided to read about it. Hmm, that was the wrong order.

3 Likes

Well, a lot of work went into making Manjaro bspwm more intuitive. There is for example a "close" button on the panel. A menu on top left. A help text file in the home folder.

Forum kindly sponsored by