The partition of the system went unformatted, the system doesn't boot, & grub is lost

My problem is that manjaro doesn't boot. grub rescue shell opens when starting the machine but all the partitions are unknown. I have tried some solutions and booted into a live USB but it turned out that manjaro partition is indicated as unformatted (not ext4) and cannot be mounted.
HOW can I revive my partition and the grub?

I'll write how I ended up here for reference ...
I have a dual-boot system. manjaro is installed on a rather small partition. I tried to resize it using KDE patitionong tool into an unallocated space (to the right of manjaro partition). The process succeeded and every thing was OK until I rebooted. grub rescue opened and I never saw manjaro again. I can boot to windows manually though.

The KDE Partitioning Tool isn't the right tool for that kind of task. Next time, try Gparted.

Meanwhile, try booting up from a live medium and resetting the boundary of the Manjaro partition exactly back to where it used to be. There may then be a small chance that the system will boot up again. :thinking:

2 Likes

Well .. not to mention that resizing partitions with data on them is just always messy and always risky.

Let alone if you tried to do that to a mounted partition, or from a system booted into it.
(I dont know if those tools even allow such a thing)

4 Likes

Never resize or change any partition structures without a full backup (or at the minimum backup your partition tables). KDE Partition Manager includes a utititly to back up your partition tables. As already mentioned though, do not use KPM for complicated resizing operations.

Better yet get that M$ sh@t off your machine and you wouldn't have these types of issues. Having M$ on your system will inevitably lead to boot problems at some point.

5 Likes

I respectfully disagree with all the fear spreading comments :japanese_goblin::japanese_ogre::ghost:

It is safe to resize partitions, if you follow Application Usage Instructions, or as we say... Read The Fine Manual. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

... with the exception of KDE Partition Manager :rofl: !!

3 Likes

thank you for your response.
I don't pretty understand how to reset it. (and would it better to use Gparted for that?)

OK, so i better use different system while doing that. thank you

:laughing:
I wish could remove it, really .. but I have to use some college related softs which has no alternative for or support by linux.

Well, one would hope that you remember the exact size of your partition before you decided to increase it. If you don't, then all bets are off and then you might as well reinstall the entire system.

Also, given that you used the KDE Partition Manager for doing the resize, it might be best to use that again for the reset of the partition boundary, because its granularity may differ from that of GParted, and it might thus be more precise in restoring the original partition boundary to where it used to be.

but the resizing option is no longer available! I guess that only reinstallation option remains in that case

The (resize) option is not available because the partition is mounted. Unmount the partition and the option will be available.

But it is no longer useful.
Your first sector has been destroyed and resizing it won't restore it.

Aragon is correct in advising not to resize.
AgentS is correct that a resize of a OS partition to the right is safe while a resize to the left is not. ( He didn't put it this way). And when core.img is destroyed, it can still be restored,
But generally, I stand with Aragon on partition resize and move.

Use this link to see if you can restore grub. But check fstab uuid with blkid before doing commands. I'm outside, on phone, so I cannot explain steps in link.

5 Likes

Try using TestDisk. It will scan your hard drive, and will attempt to find previous partitions that have been on the drive. If it finds where your old partition is, you may be in luck in getting your os restored.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by