There should be an alternative Software Store like Ubuntu

There should be a alt store like Ubuntu, it will be a useful program. I'm not saying the pre-installed store app is bad, its actually the best one ive seen in the last 2 years or so (I'm a advanced Linux user). Though i do think that there should be another store to maybe put a leap in the user interface of Manjaro by having a wider selection of apps. I think it will be good, and just for a side note i would like to ask for there to be a much more user friendly way to install Wine (Windows app loader).

-Asher Walter

And what software should it support, that Pamac does not? And do you have a canditate?
Pamac supports repo, flatpack, snaps and AUR packages.

7 Likes

I'm not sure what you mean? You want an app store where some apps gets highlighted?

Gotta love it when a newbie from the Windows and Ubuntu world comes and tells the Manjaro developers how to run their repositories. :roll_eyes:

:man_facepalming:

10 Likes

Gnome-Software is in repos.
Discover is available too and works just fine.

PlayOnLinux - does a decent job to manage wineprefix as many as the user wants, and use multiple versions of wine too.

#metoo

From where? There are already a huge number available, as mentioned, from:

8 Likes

I found pamac qt version a month ago, if that is what you are after if you're using KDE, though it's pre-release version.

1 Like

Try adding the snap and flatpak plugins to pamac. That will give you the choice of official repos, AUR,Flatpak and Snap all in one package manager. Really don't think you can anything better than that on any distro if you are after choice

2 Likes

I think Manjaro should use just pacman and yay in terminal!

2 Likes

When I installed Manjaro in April 2019, it still shipped with Octopi as the Qt-based front-end to pacman, and it has support for the AUR if you install one of the AUR helpers like yay or trizen.

Octopi also comes with its own notifier applet for the system tray, and it has a built-in terminal. It's still available in the repo, albeit that it's not installed by default anymore.

2020.06.09_08:05_-_Octopi

2 Likes

Your question might arise because you don't know bauh :stuck_out_tongue: :

sudo pacman -S bauh

Description, source, all packagers including AppImage, suggestions...

2020-08-04_12-32

(you don't see snaps on mine as I come from Ubuntu and therefore know why I'll block these)

2 Likes

AhHaHaHaHaHaHaHa it's rare to run into something that isn't in one of the included repositories, flatpak, or snap so no need for adding another useless software center.

like .deb packages? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Yes let the OP attempt to install deb files. Maybe it will stop them from making stupid thread like this.

1 Like

I'm not saying the pre-installed store app is bad, its actually the best one ive seen in the last 2 years or so (I'm a advanced Linux user). Though i do think that there should be another store to maybe put a leap in the user interface of Manjaro by having a wider selection of apps.

That is what I think he's aiming for on his comment, not actually on the wider selection of apps since you can actually install everything (Official Repo + AUR + Flatpak + Snap). Personally, I find the capabilities of Pamac to be quite amazing TBH, but surely design-wise the software centers of (for example) Pop_OS or Elementary OS look more... modern?

Summary

Pop_OS_store
ElemOS_store

2 Likes

Tbh I think the gui of pamc is really nice and modern, certainly better than discover. Not too keen popOS package manager but the Elementary one has a nice gui

2 Likes

I think it is Gnome-Software
can it do everything as Pamac?
You can install Gnome-Software too.

Here we go:

% pamac search pamac plugin                                                                       ~/src/tiddlywiki
pamac-snap-plugin                                                                                [Installiert] 9.5.6-2  extra 
    Snap plugin for Pamac
pamac-flatpak-plugin                                                                             [Installiert] 9.5.6-2  extra 
    Flatpak plugin for Pamac

Managing wine:
https://lutris.net/ (my favorite)
https://www.playonlinux.com/
https://tkashkin.tk/projects/gamehub/

All software is there. Just need to be installed.

The main visible difference i can see between the "Ubuntu Software Center" and the "Pamac-Manager" are the highlighted and fancy recommendations. If this is what you want, i am with you. :slight_smile: Also the possibility to vote for apps and write recessions in pamac would be great. But this would need an active account what the most experienced linux user won't do anyway freely. And well beside of that these functions makes the package-manager more bloatware in my opinion.

I believe the devs of pamac made good choices for the design, but the search reaction when searching for example is sometimes really slow. The first search is not a problem, but when i search something else it hangs everytime. I have to close the search bar and then search again. Sometimes really nasty, if you make a lot of searches.

3 Likes

gnome-software if you want it to look more like your old Ubuntu experience

i stopped using 'buntu distributions when they dropped synaptic as package manager in favour of app-stores and boutiques

alluding to retail does not make sense to me when it is all free

On Threads Like These I fire up a Matt Monro song and feel a lot calmer.
:slightly_smiling_face:

very funny :unamused:

Forum kindly sponsored by