time keeps resetting to universal

For a while now my clock when I start Manjaro gets set back to grenich england time. I do not know why besides local time we even have that option since if the OS changes the time the internet stops working and doesn't tell you it's because your clock is set wrong. This is a major pain since you cannot even go online to search for an answer with the wrong time set on the OS since the networks will refuse to respond. Can someone make an app or disable or at least put a checkbox to only use local time for this computer. It's a pain when Linux does stuff windows gets right "that is scary since Linux is god and windows is Satan but whatever" this is the 3rd time in 2 days my clock reset itself to universal from local time and I thought I had control of my PC as a Linux user but this computer doesn't see it that way with Manjaro XFCE. I'm super frustrated but I tried to keep it civil and nice since this is a recent development and not sure if the project that does the time app or module or widget is the problem and no one has reported it yet. I wish it was more like set it and forget it for setting the time.

Do you have a dual boot with Windows or Ubuntu?

If so make sure all Operating systems use the same RTC configuration. Windows sets the RTC in local time, Linux usually expects the RTC to be in UTC.

Check

timedatectl

and make sure it is properly configured (Timezone and RTC local or UTC).

Always hated the way Linux did time, instead of a checkbox commands and not all work since they've changed some stuff years ago. I did have the sense to sudo this command which I've used in the past. What do you make of this please?

Local time: Mon 2020-08-03 15:55:42 EDT
Universal time: Mon 2020-08-03 19:55:42 UTC
RTC time: Mon 2020-08-03 15:55:42
Time zone: America/New_York (EDT, -0400)
System clock synchronized: no
NTP service: inactive
RTC in local TZ: yes

Warning: The system is configured to read the RTC time in the local time zone.
This mode cannot be fully supported. It will create various problems
with time zone changes and daylight saving time adjustments. The RTC
time is never updated, it relies on external facilities to maintain it.
If at all possible, use RTC in UTC by calling
'timedatectl set-local-rtc 0'.

It is not recommended to use sudo with any of the systemd commands like systemctl, journalctl,...

However, your RTC is in local time. As the warning indicates, usually Linux expects the RTC to be in UTC. If you don't dual boot, consider switching back to UTC.

If you have a dual boot with any other OS(Windows,, other Linux distribution) , make sure it is for all the same.

The output indicates that you don't use a NTP service at the moment. Check for the old ntpd and if it does not run enable it or use the systemd ntp service systemd-timesyncd

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-timesyncd

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_Time_Protocol_daemon

install and activate NTP, set time zone, set time to utc, all will be fine after you reset the time used this for 15 years duel booting never a problem

Thanks Mandog will do that now. It was the timedate area of Manjaro settings, I had that installed but it was changing the time anyways so I disabled it when it wouldn't let me change the time to what eastern time was, I changed it and it immediately changed it back after I closed the window, this is the problem I was having yesterday like the system was telling me I didn't know what time it was. It's running again though.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by