Timeshift snapshots questions

Hi.
To make snapshots with Timeshift ... is RSYNC with “hard-links” better than BTRFS? Should I normally just choose the default RSYNC? Not sure exactly what the difference is.

Also, should it be on an external hard drive (with EXT4) or can it be restored from a created partition on the same hard drive?
Lastly how much space should I set aside for Timeshift partition?

rsync is a command to synchronize - btrfs is a filesystem, so you compare apples with pears.

External hard drive is much more safe. When your disk fails you loose your backup on the same disk at the same time.

Size depends as usual. I use 100 GiB and store snapshots until it's full then I start to delete the oldest snapshots and so on.

1 Like

With Timeshift, rsync is the default way of creating snapshots, and the only way unless you're using btrfs.

I use the ext4 filesystem, so rsync for snapshots is the only option for me.

If you're in doubt, use rsync. If you're a btrfs user and know what you're doing, well, then you don't need to ask :slight_smile:

How much space should you set aside for snapshots depends on how many snapshots you make. The first snapshot is going to be the same size as your root (minus your home). Any subsequent snapshots are going to be smaller, since anything that is identical between the snapshots is hard linked, saving a ton of space. It's difficult to say how much space you'll need, maybe twice, or three times the size of your root (without home, of course)?

Should it be on the same drive or on a different one? It can be on the same, but it's more convenient if you put it on a different drive, because then you can nuke your root drive and still restore a snapshot. If you're using btrfs snapshots, they have to be on the same drive, though (there might be a workaround for this, I don't know).

2 Likes

Thanks for info.
But regarding RSYNC and btrfs ... it’s a choice I’m given in the Timeshift GUI ... a user is supposed to choose one, that’s why I asked, which is best to choose...

that mean you specificaly choose to install manjaro on a btrfs filesystem (or maybe manjaro changed the default ).. then you should know what and how works btrfs.. and then it's up to you if you want to use timeshift with rsync to have an actual "back up" of your system or to use the snapshot feature of btrfs file system.

I think this is shown to every user by default. Simply ignore btrfs setting if you don't have a btrfs filesystem.

Hi, I’m new to this, still learning like a baby .., thus baby step lol ... I come from Windows.
So I’m not 100% sure but I THINK Manjaro saved as a ext4 format partition ... I didn’t choose myself, I let it do a clean install by itself. I just remember installing POP OS, tried that just before Manjaro and that chose ext4 ... most the time I’m not very sure yet what is what... or even how to check things, still getting familiar, learning commands etc.

yes my bad.. it does not check.. it will only complain when you try to select the drive with btrfs if there is none..

I think it’s ext4 ... I get this in the check

Partition: ID-1: / raw size: 689.83 GiB size: 678.01 GiB (98.29%) used:
65.52 GiB (9.7%) fs: ext4

Sorry I’m not very techie minded, but tryin

then your only valid option is rsync
rsync is a command to to copy files.. or synchronize files.

2 Likes

Ok thanks

Hi again ... the Created saved partition space to save the Timeshift backups, does it matter what format it is ... fat32, ext4 ... ?

ext4 as it will use hard link and it will keep permission like that

1 Like

Aha ok thanks ... but I can disconnect this drive when not using Timeshift right ... nothing done in the background? I want to just run Timeshift manually and hook up the drive when I do that ...

yes.. you can disconnect the drive.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by