Timeshift

A number of us here are testing Timeshift... I find it works for me, thus far. The newest release of Mint beta v. 19 is touting timeshift as"

"In Linux Mint 19, the star of the show is Timeshift. Although it was introduced in Linux Mint 18.3 and backported to all Linux Mint releases, it is now at the center of Linux Mint's update strategy and communication. Thanks to Timeshift you can go back in time and restore your computer to the last functional system snapshot. If anything breaks, you can go back to the previous snapshot and it's as if the problem never happened. This greatly simplifies the maintenance of your computer, since you no longer need to worry about potential regressions. In the eventuality of a critical regression, you can restore a snapshot (thus cancelling the effects of the regression) and you still have the ability to apply updates selectively."

Perhaps @oberon and team might consider incorporating the tool in the next (or a future) release of Manjaro.

1 Like

Linky? I assume they are using btrfs? Because otherwise it would take a huge amount of disk space using rsync

It can use either btrfs or rsync:

1 Like

It's not huge on my install.... which is not btrfs :slight_smile:

Yes, I know that I use timeshift on btrfs, what I was saying (or trying to say) is are Linux Mint moving to btrfs? Because:

• Rsync = one to one copy (as far as I know :smiley: )

• btrfs = copy on write = copy of the btree index at that time (not explained well sorry)

PS @cimarronline I may be talking out of my bottom :smiley:

@manyroads - can you browse the backup - have they created a selective backup?

e.g: right click the backup and browse.

Yes, you can browse the rsync backup (that's one of the things I really like about it). And it is large, as large as your system, with subsequent backups adding a little more each time, depending on how much has changed since the last backup. You can set it to limit how many backups are kept.

Yup, that was what I was talking.

If your root is say 20gb, then the initial backup is 20gb, then each further backup is incremental. btrfs does not suffer this problem. My backups are relatively tiny.

1 Like

@xircon I simply dumped everything onto a 32 GB sdhc and voila.... cheap restore/ recovery of my system. We'll see if it actually ever saves my 'bacon'. :wink:

Is Timeshift also useful if your system won't boot anymore?

Not exact, but easier to understand: copy on write -> write only the differing bytes

Adding timeshift has been in the works for a good while now. Gnome edition already uses it. So far it has not yet been adopted to other editions because of partial incompatibility with manjaro-architect. That should be solved now upstream, but I don't know if our repo version includes the fix yet.

In most cases, yes. You can boot from a liveUSB (or another linux OS, if dual boot), run Timeshift from there and restore a backup to the non-booting partition. This would be a case where having Timeshift in the iso would be helpful, though it can always be installed from the repos if not.

If the issue is with the MBR or efi, though, Timshift wouldn't be much help, as it just backs up a partition, not the whole disk.

1 Like

rsync has a compression option

-z, --compress
With this option, rsync compresses the file data as it is sent to the destination machine, which reduces the amount of data being transmitted -- something that is useful over a slow connection.
Note that this option typically achieves better compression ratios than can
be achieved by using a compressing remote shell or a compressing transport because it takes advantage of the implicit information in the matching data blocks that are not explicitly sent over the connection.
See the --skip-compress option for the default list of file suffixes
that will not be compressed.
--compress-level=NUM
Explicitly set the compression level to use (see --compress) instead of letting it default. If NUM is non-zero, the --compress option is implied.
--skip-compress=LIST
Override the list of file suffixes that will not be compressed. The LIST should be one or more file suffixes (without the dot) separated by slashes (/).
You may specify an empty string to indicate that no file should be skipped.
Simple character-class matching is supported: each must consist of a list
of letters inside the square brackets (e.g. no special classes, such as lq[:alpha:]rq, are supported).
The characters asterisk (*) and question-mark (?) have no special meaning.
Here's an example that specifies 6 suffixes to skip (since 1 of the 5 rules
matches 2 suffixes):
--skip-compress=gz/jpg/mp[34]/7z/bz2
The default list of suffixes that will not be compressed is this (several
of these are newly added for 3.0.0):
gz/zip/z/rpm/deb/iso/bz2/t[gb]z/7z/mp[34]/mov/avi/ogg/jpg/jpeg
This list will be replaced by your --skip-compress list in all but one
situation: a copy from a daemon rsync will add your skipped suffixes to its list of non-compressing files (and its list may be configured to a different default).

Seems to me as if the compression is only active during the file transmission (which is useful only for remote backup locations), see this screenshot of grsync, a GUI for rsync:

grsync

1 Like

That would be nice, since most of the time when my system beaks I'm unable to boot or looking at a black screen...or a grub rescue. :wink:

indeed but at the same time it should reduce the size of locally stored images too if enabled. i'll try it out later as I'm due to run a backup anyhow and see if there's any difference to external usb hosted media output

Open Packages-Manager :wink:

timeshift     A system restore utility for Linux

Internetseite/URL  https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift
Version                      v18.4-1
Lizenzen                   GPL
Hängt ab von          gtk3 libsoup desktop-file-utils cron rsync libgee vte3
Größe des Downloads  660.23 KiB
Größe bei Installation  4.10 MiB
Packager                           Stefano Capitani <stefano@manjaro.org>
Architektur                       x86_64
Bild Datum                       Mo. - 16/04/2018 18:47:01
2 Likes

Yes, we all know that Timeshift can be installed via pacman. @manyroads' suggestion is to incorporate it in the standard Manjaro out-of-the-box installation.

Apparently this is already the case for the GNOME edition (it's worth checking out the whole thread, btw):

I have installed Timeshift, just to see how it works.
Is this okay, by the way?

I can pick "Exclude applications" twice and have one option to "include hidden elements"

Schermafdruk_2018-06-05_18-09-06

Forum kindly sponsored by