Tips for recovering your data after latest update?

After updating Manjaro a few days ago, I got the following message today, when I tried to boot into it:

"Module: overflow in relocation type 10 val...
Module: 'cryptd' likely not compiled with -mcmodel=kernel
Module: 'dm_mod' likely not compiled with -mcmodel=kernel
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs ]#"

At this screen, my keyboard is not functional, so I can't key in anything.

Had a glance at some threads...not sure if my situation exactly like the others.

1. If I need to revert to an earlier kernel, how do I find out if I have one and how do I install it? I.e. my keyboard isn't functional once I get this message...can I choose a different option before I get to this screen?

2. Will I need a USB to retrieve the situation or is there some other method of fixing the problem?

3. Will I be able to keep all my apps and data from before the latest update crashed the OS?

I think that that's all that I wanted to ask...

A search for the issue you have, would reveal plenty of results with the workaround and an anouncement that by doing another update while booting from another kernel, will solve it.

I will attempt the fix linked to below in the next few days.
Maybe some stupid questions before I do:

1. For the first method, how do I get to the screen where I can do that? Like I said, once I login to Manjaro, I get the screen with the non-functional keyboard.

2. Not sure what happened to my USB with Manjaro on it...it's a SanDisk, which are apparently not recommended for booting, right? If I find it, is it ok to use that? If I don't find it and I have a very old Linux magazine disc with Manjaro on it, can I use that?

3. Will my apps and data still be there if I can fix this?

4. If I have to mount a partition, how do I know which one it is?

Thanks.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader#Chroot_into_your_existing_Manjaro_Installation

1. as is mentioned, you boot from Live Media
  2. I never heard that some brand of USB stick are NOT recommended to boot from once the ISO is properly "burned" onto it (eg. use Rufus in DD mode)
  3. Yes
  4. lsblk can help identify the internal HDD and partition used for the installed system.

If you have another kernel installed (and that is recommended by the way) boot from it and redo the update by: sudo pacman -Syyu so it will apply the fix for the 4.9 kernel that previously was broken.

Just a quick question. What is

Branch: Other OS

in your profile?

1 Like

I believe @bogdancovaciu is on the Omega Testers branch. :wink:

1 Like

@kmartin - most likely we will hear from OP in a couple of days when personally i will forget about this post :smiley:
@tbg - if you are referring to this breakdown that seems to be quite correct, then you are right :wink:

The question was directed @Hyphen...
and yes @bogdancovaciu does excellent work with many tools .
:no_emoji_applies:
:rofl:

The truth is that i have been called different names, but never Omega Tester :rofl:
As for doing

... the most confident i feel in MyPaint :smiley:

1 Like

Well checked your web site once again. Very nice work!
Very well done...

1 Like

For my future reference, how do you go about having a backup or backups of your previous kernel? I would have thought that I had those, but apparently not. When I try access the OS from the boot menu under "Advanced options" choices I get:

Kernel: 4.9.106-1
and
kernel: 4.9.106-1 - fallback initramfs

I assume that these are not different versions. In any case, choosing either of those options did not get me out of my initial issue, which I've posted about here.

I haven't really seriously spent much time trying to solve this issue...maybe I'll just start from scratch with another Linux distro or try again with Manjaro...some time in the future...don't know where...don't know when.

I have to say though, but it's really surprising that updating the distro can be so catastrophic, i.e. updating the distro causes it to break so spectacularly.

Maybe I'll try following the advice in the replies, above, some time, but I really don't have the time or my heart in it...hence me procrastinating so much.

All you need to do is update. (or to have not updated at that exact time)
If you had more than 1 kernel installed (this was just a brief bug in 4.9 that got fixed),
Or if you chrooted (used live media or similar)
Then you could do this.
You could use either of these methods to downgrade the kernel too, but you need to boot somehow.
A good idea is normally to have 2 kernels .. 1 LTS known working, and maybe one of the latest.
Otherwise backups are something you do first.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by