touchpad "Disable while typing" doesn't work on my ANSI pinebook pro

Hi, it's my first post :slight_smile:

I tested by repeating "qwqwqwqwqwqw..." in terminal with one hand while moving and clicking with the other.

System:    Host: pbp Kernel: 5.6.0-0.4-MANJARO-ARM aarch64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.2.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.2 
           Distro: Manjaro ARM 
Machine:   Type: ARM Device System: Pine64 Pinebook Pro details: N/A serial: <filter> 
Battery:   ID-1: cw2015-battery charge: 40% condition: N/A model: N/A status: Discharging 
CPU:       Topology: 6-Core (2-Die) model: N/A variant-1: cortex-a72 variant-2: cortex-a53 bits: 64 type: MCP MCM arch: ARMv8 
           rev: 4 
           features: Use -f option to see features bogomips: 0 
           Speed: 1008 MHz min/max: 408/1416:2000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 408 2: 408 3: 408 4: 408 5: 1008 6: 1008 
Graphics:  Device-1: display-subsystem driver: rockchip_drm v: N/A bus ID: N/A 
           Device-2: rk3399-mali driver: panfrost v: kernel bus ID: N/A 
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.7 driver: modesetting resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
           Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing. 
Audio:     Device-1: simple-audio-card driver: asoc_simple_card bus ID: N/A 
           Device-2: simple-audio-card driver: N/A bus ID: N/A 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.6.0-0.4-MANJARO-ARM 
Network:   Message: No ARM data found for this feature. 
           IF-ID-1: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 58.24 GiB used: 6.66 GiB (11.4%) 
           ID-1: /dev/mmcblk2 model: DA4064 size: 58.24 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 57.25 GiB used: 6.66 GiB (11.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk2p1 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 43.3 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 190 Uptime: 1h 57m Memory: 3.71 GiB used: 1.85 GiB (50.0%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 9.2.0 
           Shell: bash v: 5.0.16 inxi: 3.0.37 

Yeah. We know the issue, although the settings are set it doesn't actually disable it. Might be a firmware issue.

2 Likes

Ok, I'll just wait then :slight_smile:
IIRC this feature works in mrfixit2001's Debian.

Is there any update on this, as this is slowly driving me nuts on the PBP! :laughing: I'm thinking of digging out the python script someone wrote for the original pinebook, that disables the touchpad for 0.10 - 0.25 seconds whilst the keyboard is active.

I see on the pine64 forum that XFCE Manjaro seems to work fine, so it may be a KDE issue?

I don't know if this is a solution, but it's working much better. I just asked this on the other sub-forum:

Bottom line is if you install xf86-input-synaptics, it seems to work a lot better (and there is a ton more customizations), although it certainly doesn't seem fixed. Before, it seemed a lot better to dock the damn thing if you wanted to type anything more than a few lines.

1 Like

Using synaptics is more of a workaround in my opinion, since it's no longer developed and does not work with wayland.

1 Like

For me, flashing the unofficial keyboard firmware improved this drastically. I've only had the cursor jump twice in several days whereas before it was happening every other sentence. Plus you can can the Pine key with arrow keys and use custom keymaps if you want.

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/pinebook-pinebook-pro-manjaro-arm-i3-20-04/133927/19

1 Like

Indeed, somebody emailed me to use synaptics. My palm still triggers the touchpad when I'm not typing fast but it kind of solved the issue.

I tested the firmware (actually to solve the Pine key + arrows issue) but I haven't seen any improvement.

I did try changing the Compositor rendering backend to OpenGL 3.1, this did completely stop the "jumpy mouse" on the PBP and my RockPro64 (which obviously has an external mouse). This hasn't stopped the occasional bumps of the touchpad while typing, but at least I can re-size my spreadsheets now.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by