Tried arcolinux yet?

Like many, I enjoy trying out different distros as time permits. Testing can range from taking a look at live ISO, installing in a VM or, if I like it enough, installing it on a laptop for some period of time.

I had seen a couple of references to arcolinux so I decided to give it a look.

I started by reviewing the website their 4 websites. The sites are confusingly interlinked and the written information is mostly redundant instead driving you to a series of youtube video explanations and tutorials. Additionally, they have several versions with names like arcolinux, arcvolinuxd and arcolinuxb. After reviewing the material I found this infographic which seems to explain the theory behind the arcolinux phases.

phase 1 involves installing arcolinux from the iso(or running it live). arcolinux is an ~2GB iso that includes xfce, openbox and i3. I am not a tiling wm guy but both the xfce and openbox have a matching dark theme which is quite nice. Here is a screenshot from my desktop.

openbox:

xfce:

The xfce DE has the same plank setup as the open box it is just hidden because I opened the whisker menu for the screenshot.

The arcolinuxd version of the distro, which consists of a ~1G iso, is used to a base to install the DE of your choice by cloning a git repository and running a series of scripts. The "d" stands for desktop.

phase 2 involves taking arcolinuxd and using to install one of the default DEs included in arcolinux

phase 3 is the same as phase 2 except using a different DE

phase 4 refers to the arcolinuxb version which is where you build your own personalized ISO which includes only the packages you want. The process for this is to clone one of the git repos for arcolinuxb, edit a text file which contains a package list and run a script which installs and runs archiso.

phase 5 is just installing arch using a guide which is basically the same as the arch wiki with a little more instruction in some places.

I couldn't find any reference to phase 6 except for the above image but one could guess what it involves.

Putting aside the documentation/information the distro itself worked fine in my initial testing. It is basically arch with an installer and an extra repo. What is in that repo is mostly a lot of settings, theming and scripts. Theming is consistent across gtk and qt apps. There is a bevy of applications pre-installed. Lots of prebuilt conkys. A plethora of nice looking wallpapers and it is running variety by default.

It seems like it is still early and it will be interesting to see where it goes over time. I think it shows promise and would love to see the websites get cleaned-up.

3 Likes

tried it already...plasma looks not that nice as in manjaro :slight_smile:

Why don't they invent a better name? Several Arch based distros got problems because they had "Arch" in their names.

If we are asking questions, why does phase 5 involve just installing vanilla arch?

1 Like

Previously was called ArchMerge :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its suppose to be a learning experience. His scripts have many comments to help teach/learn.

Tried it... looks like nice... works poorly for me... :frowning:

Arch with ears

1 Like

Then you mean it knocks the spots off Manjaro and works superb. Lol.

No...

O yes I know so I was looking over your shoulder Lol
It does have a good selection of themes Icons and wallpaper they do look nice.

yes been using it for sometime it works well

1 Like

works fine for me in testing I just did a net base install choose what gnome3 parts i needed and booted to 385 mb ram same as Arch.

1 Like

My opinion it isn't for me

Which is why I use Arch Linux as nothing else reaches my expectations Arch based, Not even Manjaro since it dropped openrc.

It would be helpful to elaborate on why it isn't right for you.

1 Like

Mainly because I'm to lazy to install drivers and having to tweak them to work but the file size is to big

Eric is taking "distro" to a much higher level with all his teaching and scripts etc., I think it's an excellent rare quality that all linux distros should be inspired by .

1 Like

By that do you mean it better for users in the long run, Or is the preferred way of the moment to make Linux a clone of windows,apple,and now android, losing the the quality and security of linux the correct way to go.

I installed it in VB for a while when it was still called Archmerge just to test it. Seemed ok at first, but I didn't really like that it had so many AUR packages installed by default.

IIRC, the AUR packages wasn't just his gtk themes and icon sets. There were quite a few other things (sorry, can't recall any now except a modified terminal emulator) where I wondered why there was a need for modified packages in AUR when the standard one was available in the Arch repos.

Anyway, some updates led to some AUR packages not working or causing conflict with Arch repo stuff. I sorted it out (removed and replaced some AUR packages with the standard Arch packages) but didn't see the point of continuing the trial because I didn't want to bother with the fair number of AUR packages that had to be updated and sorted out regularly.

So I deleted the VM but no before copying some of his wallpapers and conkys for my own use . :slight_smile:

His images do provide a full-featured and pretty Arch-repo system all set up and configured for you, so it's convenient (but a huge download). Who am I to object to that when I myself chose Manjaro long ago because it gave me a ready-made image to install an Arch-based system without me having to read up and do it from scratch?

And his tutorials and instructional stuff are very helpful. For instance, I appreciate all the comments and remarks in the conkies provided.

But now that I've tried it, it's not for me. Maybe because I already have an Arch-repo OS installed on my physical system, ie the former Apricity OS.

Forum kindly sponsored by