Trying to connect to wifi

please run

grep -r "blacklist\|install\|options"  /etc/modprobe.d/

grep -r "blacklist\|install\|options"  /etc/modules-load.d/

Did you ever test the connection with IPv6 disabled. If you still have an unstable connection then disable that and let me know how everything is working now.

And, you are very welcome.

~ >>> grep -r "blacklist\|install\|options"  /etc/modprobe.d/                [1]
~ >>> grep -r "blacklist\|install\|options"  /etc/modules-load.d/            [1]
~ >>>                                                                        [1]

Those seemed to have errors?

How do I test the connection with IPv6 disabled? Sorry, super new to this.

If your connection is stable on kernel 5.0 you need not disable IPv6. If your connectivity is not good then:

To disable IPV6:

Right click on the Network Manager taskbar icon.

Click on configure network connection.

Go into your connections properties in Network Manager and select the IPv6 tab on the right side.

In the connection properties disable IPv6 from within network manager.

Either set IPv6 to "ignore", or be sure that "IPV6 is required for this connection" is not checked.

Also disable IPv6 from within your router configuration settings (if that option is available).

Reboot both the computer and router after making the changes.

Awesome, I restarted everything and it seems to be working fine now! Should I change the IPv6 back or just leave it as "Ignore"?

Also, I noticed that the only way it connects if I make sure that I'm going into grub advanced options to run 5.0 kernel. Is there an option to auto run 5.0 instead of 5.1?

You can install the wifi driver on version 5.1 if you like and use it if you feel brave. I just figured 5.0 is more stable at this point, so I thought it was a better choice.

I generally leave IPv6 disabled on my machines, but enable it if it doesn't make any difference.

Usually after you boot a few times into a lower kernel the setting should hopefully stick so you don't have to manually change it at every boot. You could also uninstall 5.1 if that's really bothering you. If you do that then I would be sure to install kernel 4.19 to be safe.

Glad you got it working.

1 Like

Thank you so much for everything. You have helped so much and I can't say thank you enough! One last question though. I think I'll stick with 5.0 for now since it is more stable. However, will I have to download and uninstall wifi drivers whenever a new update comes out. If so, how do I go about doing that? Is it just

sudo pacman -S broadcom-wl-dkms

to install and

sudo pacman -Rns linuxVERSIONNUMBER-broadcom-wl

to uninstall?

Generally once you have installed the driver and headers for a specific kernel it should continue working after updating that kernel. Any driver updates are generally applied to each kernel you have the driver and headers installed for.

You do not have to update each one individually every time you update. DKMS takes care of that for you and should auto update everything for you.

Having said that, there will always be exceptions. Any driver can break at any given time. This usually doesn't happen too often. If it breaks on one kernel an older or newer kernel will hopefully still work. That's why I asked you to upgrade your kernel. I knew the wl driver had broken for some people on 4.19 and 4.20, but was fixed on the newer kernels.

Hopefully you always find something that will work. My advice to you would be, avoid broadcom adapters if you don't want issues like this in the future.

Best of luck to you, and thank you for the kind words.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by