[TUTORIAL] Installing Manjaro with working integrated Intel GPU and dedicated Nvidia GPU

I have had tonnes of trouble installing a fully working Manjaro setup on my 2017 Dell XPS 15 9560 (Intel HD Graphics 630 integrated graphics card and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 dedicated GPU). Initially I failed to get an installation to work at all, and eventually got it working fine, but with the Nvidia card completely and permanently disabled. Recently, I have finally had a successful installation with access to the fully functioning Nvidia GPU.

Here are the exect steps I have collected from various forums as well as my own trial and error with many broken installations. (Note: that I dual-boot with Windows 10, and so some of the steps reflect that. I also install Manjaro KDE).

#########################
BIOS SETTINGS

Enter BIOS Settings by repeatedly pressing F10 on boot.

General
-> Boot Sequence -> Boot List Option -> UEFI
-> Advanced Boot Options -> Enable UEFI Network Stack
-> UEFI Root Path Security -> Always

System Configuration
-> SATA Operation -> AHCI

Secure Boot
-> Disabled

Post Behaviour
-> Fastboot -> Thorough

###########################
MANJARO ARCHITECT INSTALLATION
###########################

Manjaro Architect must be used as it allows you to select which display drivers to install. Auto-installing the Nvidia drivers always failed to then boot for me, so using Architect, I only install the Intel drivers, and manually install the Nvidia ones after I have booted into the fresh installation. Architect also allows me to install rEFInd as my bootloader, whcih I always prefer for aesthetic reasons, but more importantly as it allows me to easily set boot parameters, which are vital to getting the Nvidia GPU working (explained later).

Step 1:
i) Boot into Architect
ii) Log in with username: manjaro, password: manjaro
iii) Begin installation process by typing command: setup
iv) Connect to WiFi

Step 2:
Prepare Installation
-> Set Virtual Console -> <set to your required area>
-> Mount Partititions:

• root -> Selected desired root partition -> format as ext4 -> Default mount options
  • swap -> Select desired swap partition (if needed)
  • boot -> Select Windows UEFI partition -> /boot/efi/ -> Reformat? -> NO
  • I don't use a separate /home partition, but you can specify it here if you wish

-> Configure Mirror List

• Rank mirrors by speed -> stable

Step 3:
Install Desktop System
-> Install Base -> yaourt + base-devel + linux414
-> Additional Modules? None
-> Desktop Environment -> KDE
-> Extra Packages? No
-> Select Minimal KDE

Display Driver
-> Select Display Driver -> video-intel

Step 4:
Install Bootloader
-> refind

Step 5:
Configure Base
-> Generate FSTAB -> Device UUID
-> Set hostname, root password, add user, etc...

Step 6:
Installation complete.

Exit installation.

Reboot (1st boot takes a minute and looks like it has frozen - we will take care of this after we have booted)

################################
REFIND BOOT OPTIONS & NVIDIA DRIVERS
################################

Step 1:
Blacklist Nouveau drivers. This appears to be what causes the boot process to hang for a while, and also sometime freezes the system when rebooting/shutting down.

Create the file: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
and add the single line to it:

blacklist nouveau

Step 2:
Create custom rEFInd boot entries for Windows and Manjaro (necessary as we need a boot option for the Nvidia drivers to work).

i) Open the app parted to set the label to "Manjaro" for your Manjaro root partition, and take note of its UUID.

ii) Open /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf (location may be slightly different if you are not dual-booting) and add the following lines:

### Do not uncomment until you know that your custom entries actually boot and work!!!
#scanfor external,manual 

menuentry "Manjaro" {
    icon     icon /EFI/refind/icons/<set to any icon in this directory so that you know it is your custom entry>.png
    volume   "Manjaro"
    loader   /boot/vmlinuz-4.14-x86_64
    initrd   /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img
    options  "rw root=UUID=0000000a-00a0-00a0-0000-0a00aa00a0a0 quiet acpi_rev_override=1"
}

menuentry "Windows 10" {
    icon    icon /EFI/refind/icons/<set to any icon in this directory so that you know it is your custom entry>.png
    loader  /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}
  • volume must be set to whatever label you gave the root partition previously.
  • loader and initrd can be found in /boot/ or you can boot into refind, and press tab twice on the defaul Manjaro boot entry to see what they are set to by default.
  • options must be rw root=UUID=<UUID of your root partition> followed by the space-separated options quiet and acpi_rev_override=1. This is what allows the Nvidia drivers to work.
  • Once you have checked that both/all of your custom boot entries work, you can uncomment scanfor manual,external so that refind no longer shows its automatically generated entries. If you uncomment this line before checking if your manual entries work, you may no longer be able to boot into any OS.
  • Icons cane be changed accordingly, I use the ones in the rEFInd Minimal theme I linked earlier.

Step 3:
Install bumblebee (and primus, and mesa if not already installed)

pacman -S bumblebee
sudo systemctl enable bumblebeed.service
sudo systemctl start bumblebeed.service

Step 4:
Install drivers

KDE System Settings
-> Hardware Configuration

• Uninstall video-intel
  • Install video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee

Step 5:
Reboot and cross your fingers.

If successful, run optirun nvidia-smi to ensure your Nvidia GPU and drivers are recognised. If so, any program can be run on the GPU using the optirun command prefix.

BONUS: RUN i3 WITHIN KDE

I have always been a fan of i3, but also love the convenience of my favourite DE - KDE - for its settings app, other GUI apps, and plenty of other reasons. Here is my setup of i3 integrated within KDE.

And here are the steps to do so:

1. Install i3-gaps

2. Add the following to ~/.config/i3/config (cp from /etc/i3/config if not created yet):

# Set wallpaper, otherwise image of lockscreen stays (must have feh installed)
    exec_always --no-startup-id feh --bg-scale /path/to/wallpaper.jpg

### Try to kill the wallpaper set by Plasma (it takes up the entire workspace and hides everything)
    exec --no-startup-id wmctrl -c Plasma
    for_window [title="Desktop — Plasma"] kill; floating enable; border none

### Avoid tiling popups, dropdown windows from plasma 
    ### for the first time, manually resize them, i3 will remember the setting for floating windows
    for_window [class="plasmashell"] floating enable;
    for_window [class="Plasma"] floating enable; border none
    for_window [title="plasma-desktop"] floating enable; border none
    for_window [title="win7"] floating enable; border none
    for_window [class="krunner"] floating enable; border none
    for_window [class="Kmix"] floating enable; border none
    for_window [class="Klipper"] floating enable; border none
    for_window [class="Plasmoidviewer"] floating enable; border none
  1. Add the following to ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/wm.sh & make executable (sudo chmod +x ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/wm.sh):
    ### Disable KWin and use i3gaps as WM
    export KDEWM=/usr/bin/i3
  1. Log out and back in, still with Plasma as Xsession. i3 Should now be running within KDE.
9 Likes

Thank you for these detailed instructions. Very helpful.

1 Like

So you no longer need the acpi=! = linux =Windows 2009 kernel parameters anymore?

Seems like since 4.14, just quiet acpi_rev_override=1 is needed.

1 Like

Just tested on 4.9 and 4.14 and don't need all those kernel parameters anymore. What happens if the acpi_rev_override is excluded too?

You have been the tester, what happens?

@kevob33, I thank you for the step by step tutorial. Only the kernel commands have changed (apparently, I have not actually tried it) and this is a normal thing as each kernel moves along.

Without it it freezes on the boot at the same line "Reached Target Graphical Interface" which the other kernel parameters were used to fix. I guess only needing 1 kernel param now to do the same is an improvement.

1 Like

I'm happy that manjaro-architect has proven useful :blush:
It's precisely this why I like CLI-installers: you can easily mix them with manual operations to get around tricky hardware issues and the limitations of the installer.

2 Likes

Most of the helpful information in this post is already contained elsewhere. The rest is quite specific to the hardware issues, and DOES NOT follow manjaro conventions.
While the title and content seem to imply that this is the solution for all optimus machines.
Which it certainly is not.
Either it should be heavily edited/revised ... or it should be removed.
[ ex - Manjaro not booting into kde environment ]

Looks like an edit by @AgentS bumped this year-old thread.

Given there are better/newer options now I'll Unlist this one to avoid confusion.

1 Like

What is this?
Can you explain the errors/mistakes in the guide?
A very nice and proper guide is deleted instead of corrected?
I can show you tutorials that make me sick. Then it's the infamous Manjaro rule "A tutorial belongs to the creator", while now you have not even asked the creator, not explained an error and you delete the guide.

What else to be expected?:hushed:

...I'm sorry, do you think I have any control over this forum?
[hint - no. I am not a moderator, admin, or anything like it .. I cannot 'delete' threads .. which is obviously not the case here anyways .. since we are you know, typing in it]

But as to your question about the errors .. well I'll show a few:
pacman -S bumblebee
(which is already bad because MHWD should be used... but look whats done after..)

• Uninstall video-intel
  • Install video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee

Step 5:
Reboot and cross your fingers.

I dont have this hardware... but isnt that wrong in more than one way?
I also included a link to a thread in which this post seems to have been the reason for malaise.
[after ~50 posts the solution was undo everything from here.. and do it the right way]

So yeah .. I believe it should be deleted or edited. As I stated in my post.
But I cannot/did not do anything to that affect.

EDIT - try as I might, I find nothing useful here besides the boot param
acpi_rev_override=1 , which who woulda thunk .. is already in the ArchWiki for this exact model...https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_15_9560
[ and guess what? - everything in this post can be found there . even the BIOS options... which is also probably why it does not follow manjaro conventions :wink: ]

So yeah. At best redundant. At worst it is directing people to do things they should not. Should not in general on manjaro. Definitely should not if they dont have this model laptop.

Then a changed title might fix it.
As for the mod things, I know you're not one, so it wasn't for you.. Sorry for your frustration.

Edit: the topic you linked was not broken because of the tutorial though.

Yeah. As I said, I would even be happy with some slight re-wording so this doesnt seem like its applicable to all dual-graphics machines. Well that and not suggesting destructive practices.
(though it seems wholly unnecessary given that this is just regurgitated Arch Wiki with less info)
As to the other thread .. its long and winding and I gave it a cursory read. Its possible I was mistaken.. but it is the reason I ended up here analyzing the tut.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by