UEFI VM fails to boot, 90-mhwd.conf to blame

This is still an issue since I last addressed it some time ago(with considerable amount of learning internals to understand the cause). I detailed it here: QEMU/KVM install media fails to boot with UEFI firmware

While I can boot into the live ISO to do an install with the kernel param systemd.mask=mhwd-live.service, Manjaro / Calamares still installs with 90-mhwd.conf being setup that doesn't seem to take note or respect what driver is in use with the boot media and it tries to assume what is correct again like the live-mhwd script does I guess?

So my VM was stuck booting, it was constantly at 50% CPU activity for some reason, and I assumed due to the display it was just taking a really long time doing an fsck on my XFS partition, but no, I rebooted and added to grub kernel param systemd.unit=multi-user.target to boot o console and removed the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf file, rebooted again and no problems Xorg figures out the correct driver to use and boots the system.

MHWD utility only recognizes video-vesa as an option...which is not something you can use on UEFI afaik. It'd be nice if MHWD could be aware of drivers that are in the kernel/available, Xorg figures it out, not sure what MHWD is doing for hardware/driver detection differently. Alternatively, if it could not do anything or blacklist vesa on UEFI that'd work too.

A post was merged into an existing topic: QEMU/KVM install media fails to boot with UEFI firmware

Forum kindly sponsored by