Unable to access windows 10 after dual boot manjaro/windows

Yesterday I installed manjaro gnome, (I'm running the most recent version of manjaro 18.1.4 gnome) as my second OS with windows 10 being my existing OS. In order to install manjaro I had to enable legacy boot in my BIOS, and it seems that while legacy boot is enabled I am not able to access windows, even after I switch back to disable legacy boot on the bios, I am still unable to access windows or manjaro, it just gives a continous loop of "the selected boot device failed". After installing Manjaro I am no longer able to access Windows. It does appear that my windows partition is still intact.
Would greatly appreciate any guidance as I'm relatively new to linux.

Next time it would be better to install Manjaro with UEFI (not legacy) if you already have Windows installed. Try running sudo update-grub in terminal from Manjaro. If that doesn't work, I don't think there's much you can do unfortunately. Might be worth in to try reinstalling Manjaro not in legacy.

If you really installed Manjaro on the same disc in another partition in legacy mode (maybe even using MBR for the boot loader) and your Windows was installed in UEFI than most likely you messed up your system. Haven't you studied any tutorial how to do a dual boot install upfront?

Live-ISO, Windows-recovery DVD or stick, manjaro-chroot and @gohlip might help you to fix it...

1 Like

Like others have been saying, never mix UEFI and Legacy BIOS. You said your Win10 partition is intact? Then we can save it. You will need a usb flash drive with a Windows 10 ISO flashed onto it. After creating the W10 USB, disable legacy BIOS mode and set your boot device back to usb. In the Windows 10 USB, you will need to click "repair your computer" on the purple welcome screen, and execute a "startup repair" under troubleshooting. This should allow you to access your Windows partition again once finished. Manjaro will become inaccessible as the Windows Boot Manager has been made the primary bootloader again.

Now you can install Manjaro the proper way in UEFI mode, or go through a more complicated process of manually putting GRUB in your EFI partition. The easiest way would be to do a fresh install, but that's up to you. Here's a tip. Flash your Manjaro ISO as GPT partition scheme to automatically have it be in UEFI mode. Hope that helps!

Here's instructions on how to make a bootable Windows ISO in Manjaro, if you need it.

1 Like

Appreciate the reply, tried this and got, "Unable to repair PC". All is good though, got all critical files off windows prior to the switch, and wanted to switch to linux permanently at some point anyway.

1 Like

Sorry to hear you system was not recoverable. But thankfully you got your files. Welcome to Manjaro and to Linux! Remember, with great power comes great responsibility! Especially with root privileges. Feel free to create more topics if you need any further assistance. And keep an eye on this thread, someone else might know something and post it. The Linux community is full of surprises. Best of luck!

1 Like

It is likely that what the others say here is right,
but we need to check that out,
before we suggest any course of action.

At Manjaro terminal, print out output of

sudo parted -l
sudo blkid
cat /etc/fstab
test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo UEFI || echo BIOS
efibootmgr -v

parted -l --> small 'L', all disks, do not omit or truncate.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by