Unable to connect to a Synology Diskstation via LAN

I am having problems to connect to my Diskstation, which I use to backup my data. It is a Synology DS218j.

Since I don't need to access my backups more than twice a week, I did not connect the station to the internet, but just to a switch with a couple of LAN-cables. I just connect the station to the device I want to backup whenever I need. That works fine on Windows, but I can't connect from Manjaro.

When I plug in my LAN Manjaro appears to recognize a new cable internet connection, but it does not seem to be able to connect to it. When I use the Synology-Assistant to look for the Diskstation it is unable to find any synology server.

I assume the problem is, that the LAN-Connection is not properly set up. Does anyone know, how to do this?

There is no DHCP server to assign an IP address to the ethernet connection.

Ok. I now know what the problem is, but how do I solve it.

Can you go into Windows and look at your network configuration? That should tell you what it needs to look like on Linux.

If you are literally connected to a fully isolated network than you will probably need static IP.

Thanks. I logged into Windows and copied the information on the connection. It says the following:

Verbindungslokale IPv6-Adresse: fe80::89cb:94:2811:3e66%13 IPv6-DNS-Server: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1 Hersteller: Intel Corporation Beschreibung: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (3) I218-LM Treiberversion: 12.17.10.8 Physische Adresse (MAC): 50-7B-9D-3A-F2-A5

I gather the IPv6-Adress is the static IP I could use?

Internet = WWW
Ethernet = LAN

The easy way ™ :
Connect both the Manjaro workstation and the Synology to your router with 2 separate Ethernet cables. The router will act as a DHCP server and it will just work.

The hard way ™ :
Read the Synology manual on which IP address it uses when no DHCP is available. Give the Manjaro PC a fixed IP address in the same IP range with the same NM and DG.

Why does it "just work" on Windows?
Microsoft has deep pockets and 2 Class A IPV4 ranges and has set aside a Class C range for equipment that has no DHCP servers. As Synology knows this, it gives the NAS an IP address in that range when no DHCP servers are available.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by