Unable to Connect to Internet Via Wifi in Manjaro xfce

So I've been having issues getting my wifi to work since I came over to manjaro from windows earlier this week. No wifi networks appear despite the fact that I am in range of them and that my Network Controller is supported by the iwlwifi kernel module. Using lspci -k returns the following information.

05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (rev 1a)
		Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 0084
		Kernel modules: iwlwifi

Running sudo dmesg | grep iwlwifi returns

[    4.650909] iwlwifi 0000:05:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[    4.763465] iwlwifi: probe of 0000:05:00.0 failed with error -110
[ 3317.149461] iwlwifi: probe of 0000:05:00.0 failed with error -110

I attempted using sudo modprobe iwlwifi but it had no apparent effect and the issue still persists. Thanks in advance for anybody who tries to direct me to a solution.

1 Like

Test some different kernels, including 4.19 & 5.5.

If that doesn't help try disabling dhcpd and enabling dhclient.

See here for directions.

3 Likes

How would I test different kernels? Would I have to reinstall different versions of manjaro for that? Or are there some commands I can run in the terminal?

Connect with LAN and then manjaro-settings-manager > kernel and install both latest 5.5 and LTS 4.19 (also as a hint keep 4.19 for backup even you don't use it)

2 Likes

You can use MSM or the terminal:

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux419

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux54

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux55

How to switch kernels:

When you reboot if you do not see the grub boot screen press and hold down the ESC, SHIFT or F8 key. This should show the GRUB boot menu if it doesn't appear. As soon as you see the grub boot screen, press the down arrow. Select the "advanced" menu from the choices and press enter. In the next menu you can select the different kernels you have installed to boot from. Select the regular kernel you wish boot into (not the fallback), and then press enter to complete the kernel change.

2 Likes

When I try to boot from 4.19 I can't get into the operating system and get stuck on an infinite loading screen, and I am able to boot from 5.5 but it does not fix the wifi issue. Disabling dhcpd and enabling dhclient unfortunately did not fix my issue either

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to try different firmware versions.

Test older versions the linux-firmware:

If you are on the stable branch you will need to install downgrade.

sudo pacman -S downgrade

Then downgrade the linux-firmware:

DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade linux-firmware

Choose the firmware version you wish to test from the list.

Select a package by its number to install.

Be sure to reboot after any firmware change.

If you wish to hold at an older package version you will need to ensure pacman ignores updating that package in the future.

Downgrading and freezing a package version should only be used by advanced users who know the risks involved.

Freezing (ignoring) a package is not a good long term solution on a rolling distribution. It is unadvisable as it can lead to instability and a broken system.

If you choose to prevent pacman from updating a package you can do so by editing /etc/pacman.conf.

You can temporarily prevent pacman from auto-updating a package by naming it in the "IgnorePkg"section in your pacman.conf file.

Default pacman.conf configuration:

# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
#IgnorePkg   =

Edit the IgnorePkg section as in the example below:

# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
IgnorePkg = linux-firmware

Save the changes to /etc/pacman.conf with root authorization with your preferred text editor.

Test newer firmware versions:

To ensure you have the latest iwlwifi firmware issue the following commands:

sudo pacman -S git --needed
sudo git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
cd linux-firmware
sudo cp iwlwifi-* /lib/firmware/

Reboot

The newest iwlwifi firmware is also available for download here:

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi

Download the firmware to your home directory.

Then copy your specific firmware to /lib/firmware/:

sudo cp ~/iwlwifi-3160-14.ucode /lib/firmware/

Substitute the name and version number of your specific firmware into the above copy command.

Reboot after altering your firmware.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by