Unable to install VirtualBox guest additions

My Host OS is Windows 10 (If all goes well my next computer won't be), I am trying to get VirtualBox guest additions installed so I can get my display resolution to look right instead of being so small as well as copy-paste text/files between the host and guest. But when I try I get this:

This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules.

Please install the gcc make perl packages from your distribution.

Please install the Linux kernel "header" files matching the current kernel

for adding new hardware support to the system.

VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until

the system is restarted

Press Return to close this window...

This is why I'm in the newbie corner here but I don't know what this means, can I get some help?

1 Like

Read this:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=VirtualBox#Running_Manjaro_under_VirtualBox

I run all the commands and it's fine up until
sudo systemctl enable --now vboxservice.service
where it says

Failed to enable unit: Unit file vboxservice.service does not exist.

You might want to reboot after adding yourself to the vboxusers group. Then try running the systemctl command again.

Rebooting had no affect

You do not need to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions ISO.

The guest additions ISO is for operating systems other than Manjaro (Arch) based systems.

Before you boot/install your VirtualBox VM - ensure you have set the vm graphics to VBoxVGA or VBoxSVGA and enable 3D acceleration.

Then boot Manjaro ISO and install.

4 Likes

3D acceleration is not needed as far as I know.

Not needed - you are correct :slight_smile:

I just tried using both VBoxVGA and VBoxSVGA, both cause a black screen and a cursor underscore in the top left forever, meaning I can only use the default graphics driver. Also, for what I need it for I need the copy/paste between the host and guest as well as for the aspect ratio to be correct.

Set it before installation - after installation is not always a success. To my - limited - knowledge the driver for VBoxSVGA is kernel supplied.

Reinstalling the VM with VBoxSVGA enabled before first boot fixed the display problem, and for one reason or another I can now install the Guest additions just fine, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by