unable to use Sudo

[update] : It was much more lengthy so installed a fresh OS.

I was trying to install MIT app inventor Emulator, So install that I need to move a folder in usr/google/foldername. There was no folder named google in usr folder so I right clicked and gave ownership to active user but still I couldn't make folder so I opened a terminal with root access and typed mkdir google . Next I tried to move a folder from downloads to that google folder but go this error

sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set

So I searched internet and find some solution in askubuntu forum, which is below,

chown root:root /usr/bin/sudo && chmod 4755 /usr/bin/sudo

it solved that( not sure) partially So I now I am getting this when doing sudo su,

sudo: error in /etc/sudo.conf, line 0 while loading plugin "sudoers_policy"
sudo: /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so must be owned by uid 0
sudo: fatal error, unable to load plugins

I am Still able to login to root and My WiFi network is also gone.
Is there any hope or should I go for fresh install.

What user is UID 0?

Changing ownership and permissions of system files is a sure way to mess up your system.

Trying to fix this mess manually is typically a nightmare. My suggestion would be to reinstall Manjaro, it is much easier (and more importantly, it is the only way to be sure that everything is okay and that there are no serious security issues).

Before you reinstall, backup your home directory and make a list of all the packages you have installed: pacman -Qqe > pkglist.txt so that you can easily install them later.

In the future, when you manually install applications, the safest place to do that in is your home directory. Never change ownership and permissions of files and directories outside home. If you need to modify a file outside your home directory, use sudo.

1 Like

It's the root user.

Of course.

I mean the message says it all:

sudoers.so must be owned by uid 0

You asked, I answered :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I was trying to make new partition and move my data to that partition, so I can clean Install. But I need su permission, is there any other way?

Being logged as root using "su", you need to set "chown" permissions to all the files that fail.

Try to run

su

and then

chown -R root:root /usr 

This might give you back the ability to use sudo

The easiest way to backup your files is to plug in an external HDD and copy all the files from home to it (don't forget the hidden .dotfiles).

Or if you want always up to date backups, qsyncthingtray-git.

Hmm, I'm wondering how the ownership of sudo and sudoers.so got screwed up. Is it possible the system got hacked?

OP took care of that.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by