Unknown device warning from GRUB

Hi all,
I updated GRUB this morning (sudo update-grub) and got an error which goes like this:

Blockquote
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.
Blockquote

This "unknown device type" is my M.2 PCIe drive. I was just wondering why I get this message, because I otherwise don't have any trouble using this drive. /dev/nvme0n1 is the default boot device and has Manjaro GNOME installed on it. And just in case it matters, I have Windows 10 installed on another drive (/dev/sda).

You can safely ignore it.

4 Likes

I also get the warning, though I have a different device "mmcblk2". My mint install does not report this error (v2.02.) Manjaro's update-grub does,it is version v2.04. My system boots fine despite the error and I also find it safe to ignore the "warning".

Edit: Thanks, that worked here too.

1 Like

Moson,
Thanks for the tip, it worked. I update GRUB after removing the memtest thing and voilĂ , the thing worked as you predicted. Thanks for letting me know it wasn't a big deal. I tend to be anal about error messages and start hunting down the possibilities until I find them, or someone like you points them out. Merci.

1 Like

Marked @moson's post as the solution to the OP's issue.

1 Like

Thanks for doing that, I didn't realise that's what I was supposed to do. I though editing the subject line and adding [SOLVED] was the way to go. I learned two new things today. :wink:

1 Like

No problem. Marking the solution using the check box under ... in the relevant post make it easier to see the solution already in the op.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by