Unofficial Manjaro Discord Server

Hi all.

As an experiment I created a Manjaro Discord server.
The idea was to have an alternative to IRC support and since I noticed a lot of people have been having trouble installing the libc++ packages, I figured a lot of people might be using Discord for other stuff as well.

This is not something the Manjaro Team has given a "thumbs up" or anything.

But I have been using Discord for a while now (for gaming related stuff), but it can be used as a general communication platform.

Some disclaimers though:

• Discord is NOT open source.
  • Discord does not use end-to-end encryption.
  • The Linux client is an electron app.
  • Discord is meant for gamers, so there are some gaming terms in it.

But it also has some Pro's compared to other forms of communication:

• The mobile app is great.
  • Ability to talk someone through a problem via voice chat.
  • Clients available on Linux, Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android + the webapp itself.
  • Easy to moderate and set up.

The invite link for the server is: https://discord.gg/t6GJuTC
The Discord client can be built from AUR or installed from my repo.
Or you can use the webapp: www.discordapp.com.

10 Likes

Why not matrix.org ?
i hate discord it sells your data.
and you have not an server!

" We collect information from you when you voluntarily provide such information, such as when you register for access to the Services or use certain Services. Information we collect may include but not be limited to username, email address, and any messages, images, transient VOIP data (to enable communication delivery only) or other content you send via the chat feature."

thats 1 reason why i am not using this pice of s....

1 Like

Then don't! Simple as that.

Hope you are not using facebook or anything Google related either.

2 Likes

iam dont using facebook, whatsapp, only google sometimes

This could be an option, no server needed and is used by communities like jquery, bootstrap, freecodecamp.

Someone already created 3 unofficial rooms there ( Manjaro, Mhwd and manjaro-hardware-detection) @Strit

manj

Seems Gitter is primarily used in conjunction with Github to communicate on projects.
My aim with the Discord approach was to get the not so tech-savvy people involved.

Maybe a web client will be a better fit. http://www.irchelp.org/clients/webclients.html

There are plenty of web clients for IRC.

As this has been met with mostly hostility or complaints I've closed down the instance.

I won't be suggesting stuff in the future.

Edit: Put up a new instance.

I just found out recently, that there actually is a Manjaro room on Matrix.org. You can search for it within a Matrix client or just add it with #Manjaro:matrix.org.

I heard great thing about RIOT.IM too. There is a client on every platform. I've never used it personally.

1 Like

Likely nothing will do better than this forum.

I personally like the idea. While discord is still a company, that will sell your (and their) soul for pretty much anything, it is easy to use, and thus popular.
Their popularity can come in handy with new users, who will likely use discord anyway, this, plus its VoIP capability do count for some.

Aside from that, it's just a platform where some of us might like to hang out, and get on each others' nerves.

Obviously it is not even an alternative to this forum, but it can be a fun place regardless.

1 Like

I hate people who make facts up and make false claims. https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/7wlikx/does_discord_sell_our_data/

It's pretty unclear if they do or not. But as with every other thing not encrypted, only share what you want the world to see.

1 Like

True, but I'm strongly against misinformation and the making up of facts. Unless @LucyDemoon has anything to substantiate this claim. i.e proof of selling of information. then this is defamation.

1 Like

I see this part, but not really much else, regarding sharing info:

**The Company is not in the business of selling your information.** We consider this information to be a vital part of our relationship with you. There are, however, certain circumstances in which we may share your information with certain third parties, as set forth below:

Business Transfers: As we develop our business, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, bankruptcy, dissolution or similar event, your information may be part of the transferred assets.
    Consent: We may transfer your information with your consent.
    Related Companies: We may also share your information with our Related Companies for purposes consistent with this Privacy Policy.
    Developers: Developers using our SDK or API will have access to their end users’ information, including message content, message metadata, and voice metadata. Developers must use such information only to provide the SDK/API functionality within their applications and/or services.
    Agents, Consultants and Related Third Parties: Like many businesses, we sometimes hire other companies or individuals to perform certain business-related functions. Examples of such functions include mailing information, maintaining databases and processing payments.
    Legal Requirements: We may disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (i) comply with a legal obligation, (ii) protect and defend the rights or property of the Company or Related Companies, (iii) protect the personal safety of users of the Services or the public, or (iv) protect against legal liability.
    Aggregated or Non-identifiable Data: We may also share aggregated or non-personally identifiable information with our partners or others for business purposes.

See the first line. :stuck_out_tongue:

"certain circumstances in which we may share your information with certain third parties"

jey XD sry but before i use discord i prefer to use the steam chat beta which is better around worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBDgkt-ScpI

Forum kindly sponsored by