[Unstable Update] 2019-06-29 - KDE-Git, Octopi, RC-ISOs, Firefox-Dev, Haskell

well in comparison
its ui looks good and easy.
its easy to find optdeps and install them.

Just installed pamac-qt to see what it is like and got this:

/usr/bin/pamac-qt
QML debugging is enabled. Only use this in a safe environment.
Icon theme "elementary" not found.
Icon theme "deepin" not found.
QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
qrc:/src/qml/MainWindow.qml:-1 File was compiled ahead of time with an incompatible version of Qt and the original file cannot be found. Please recompile

I am using Illyria KDE, fully updated.

The day pamac-qt supports snaps channels will be the day when I switch from Octopi. Pls don't remove Octopi.
Another huge advantage of Octopi is it's ability to run operations in terminal, allowing user input, while Pamac simply outputs everything in text format, which is informative, but doesn't allow interactivity that sometimes is necessary, e.g. for custom hooks.

5 Likes

Did you mention the pro's of Octopi now? Cause that's what I feel when using it. It fits perfectly in the KDE environment and optdeps are shown automatically when installing something. Just a click next to the name and it will be installed as well.
Trust me, Octopi only has pro's. That's what we need.

4 Likes

Rubbish, i still sometimes use it & i'm only an amateur! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

IMO the best feature of Octopi, which nobody seems to mention, is its sooooo cute little alien.

6 Likes

Thank you. I can confirm that this update includes Phil's fix to my kate issue on KDE-Dev.

KDE-Dev has two graphical package managers (Octopi and Pamac-Qt) and one app store (Discover). It seems to me that the update notifier is now Discover.

Perhaps it is not fully tested on different themes. Running in KDE-Dev, I see:

$ pamac-qt
QML debugging is enabled. Only use this in a safe environment.
Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
qrc:/src/qml/HistoryDialog.qml:20:9: QML TableView: rowHeightProvider doesn't contain a function
qrc:/src/qml/Header.qml:40: TypeError: Cannot read property 'columnCount' of undefined
qrc:/src/qml/Table.qml:22: TypeError: Cannot read property 'columnCount' of undefined
qrc:/src/qml/MainWindow.qml:60:9: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
qrc:/src/qml/AboutDialog.qml:8:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
qrc:/src/qml/PreferencesDialog.qml:16:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
qrc:/src/qml/SearchPane.qml:81: ReferenceError: searchImage is not defined
qrc:/src/qml/MenuItemDelegate.qml:35: ReferenceError: index is not defined
qrc:/src/qml/MainWindow.qml:283:13: QML StackView: ScrollBar must be attached to a Flickable or ScrollView
<Unknown File>: QML QQuickContentItem: ScrollBar must be attached to a Flickable or ScrollView
qrc:/src/qml/MainWindow.qml:134:9: QML Page: ScrollBar must be attached to a Flickable or ScrollView
qrc:/src/qml/MainWindow.qml:129:5: QML QQuickItem: ScrollBar must be attached to a Flickable or ScrollView
<Unknown File>: QML QQuickContentItem: ScrollBar must be attached to a Flickable or ScrollView
<Unknown File>: QML QQuickRootItem: ScrollBar must be attached to a Flickable or ScrollView

That said, it no longer loads the list of applications; instead I now first have to enter my sudo password, and then I get the busy cursor.

I am not on KDE-DEV but on the unstable version of Manjaro with KDE desktop:

I have installed pamac-qt this morning and I get the error message I wrote earlier, in other words it won't start. I tried the normal pamac to see what's the program about but not a fan yet.

We still at the beginning with the QT ui. If you want you can note your findings here:

@philm
Kernel 5.2 drops me to a emergency shell. It fails to mount /boot/efi and more. Please let me know if further information is needed.
Kernel 4.19 and 5.1 boot fine!

The issue with the User_Namespaces is also still present, which affects a lot gnome components, Flatpak etc.
`

bwrap: No permissions to creating new namespace, likely because the kernel does not allow non-privileged user namespaces. On e.g. debian this can be enabled with 'sysctl kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1'.

`
There was is a issue with my volume resetting to max on reboot, which is now fixed! Yay :smile:
It doesn't happen if I use my own created LADSPA plugin output. But is still happening on the default sound output.

Works perfectly for me. I like this new verbose terminal output plus the fact that the news section is working again.

Two hands up from me for keeping Octopi + pacman as there isn't a more iconic KDE combination to this day. Love the gui and functionality of Octopi and pacman is an absolute must for every Arch fan. I can see why pamac, looking like apt can be an easier transition from users switching from other distros but at the very least, let people choose in Manjaro Settings?? :bulb:

2 Likes

Another bunch of updates including systemd also installed without issues.

Unfortunately not here, in case of Kernel 5.2

Updating linux52 initcpios...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux52.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.2-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.2-x86_64.img
==> ERROR: '/lib/modules/5.2.0-1-MANJARO' is not a valid kernel module directory
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux52.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.2-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.2-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> ERROR: '/lib/modules/5.2.0-1-MANJARO' is not a valid kernel module directory
Fehler: Befehl konnte nicht korrekt ausgeführt werden
Updating journal message catalog...
Reloading system manager configuration...
Updating udev hardware database...
Applying kernel sysctl settings...
Creating system user accounts...
Creating temporary files...
Reloading device manager configuration...
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
Vorgang erfolgreich abgeschlossen.

@guinux Pamac 8.0.0-1 UI improvements look awesome, great job!
One minor thing I noticed is that the main window shows installed applications on start. I was under the impression that it showed the categories before?!

rain check. systemd introduced stutters in wine applications for me. Can someone test it?

Going back to 242.29 fixes it.

No previous version also shown installed applications at startup :wink:

1 Like

thank you for removing the xterm dependency from octopi

@guinux

I have added German translation to pamac here: https://www.transifex.com/manjarolinux/manjaro-pamac/dashboard/

As a first-timer I hope it did work out :upside_down_face:

All good here on KDE Vanilla , first thing I installed on it was Octopi , much prefer it to Discover or Pamac .

2 Likes

See here:

Kernel 5.1.16 builds and works fine with apparmor patches as far as I can tell. The only thing to take care of should be extramodules, that's why I just installed their dkms versions (except for nvidia, of course, rebuilt it manually). BTW bbswitch-dkms from AUR works fine.

Forum kindly sponsored by