[Unstable Update] 2019-11-14 - Python 3.8, ICU and Poppler rebuilds - BREAKAGE expected!

pip is broken:

pip install purge-old-files
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pip", line 6, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3251, in <module>
    def _initialize_master_working_set():
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3234, in _call_aside
    f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3263, in _initialize_master_working_set
    working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 583, in _build_master
    ws.require(__requires__)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 900, in require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 786, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'pip==19.2.3' distribution was not found and is required by the application

@philm

There was an overlay on our end we have to remove.

@Chrysostomus (I think) python-pillow-simd needs a rebuild. Also ranger and ueberzug.

edit - it seems ranger/ueberzug no longer requires simd to display images, just python-pillow.....

2 Likes

Today i was able to update with no issue 191 packages. So far seems all good on my end.

3 Likes

I'll update it soon if I can

2 Likes

Updated Gnome in a VM. No issues.

Just getting around to this .. oo 221 packages? yummy.

[edit no issues for me so far on KDE]

Updated yesterday evening and today. No issues so far

Python-ueberzu and python-pillow-simd updated in unstable. Simd is not required, but should improve performance.

I installed from git - what version numbers are the new versions?

18.1.5 and 6.0.0.post0

Thanks, mirrors not synced yet.

I had to rebuild ranger too, uploading now...

1 Like

@Chrysostomus - Can't get it to run:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/ranger", line 35, in <module>
    import ranger  # NOQA pylint: disable=import-self,wrong-import-position
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'ranger'

Uninstalled everything , reinstalled. Still works with git versions (no simd).

Edit - nothing in 3.8 site packages......?

2 Likes

That's what I got before I updated ranger. It should work after the update.

1 Like

New version number? I can see 1.9.2.389.g28f3d014-1

And it definitely installs into 3.7 not 3.8.

Ha, the benefit of waiting a day! All good for my Unstable KDE+Cinnamon VM.

:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Package (248) 
Total Download Size:    950.54 MiB
Total Installed Size:  3470.40 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        18.61 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

No errors during update, all good with reboot & login.

2 Likes

Are you able to open Applets icon in system settings?

Initially i did not realise that you are referring to Cinnamon [but i now see that is your DE] & wrongly assumed you meant in KDE. This answer does not help you, but i'm offering it here anyway for the other Plasma users & Devs... the System Settings in Plasma with the current Unstable status is extremely... heehee, unstable. It is constantly crashing when i try to open various parts of it, albeit the second-time around after i relaunch it it works. Also, even when its UI does not instantly crash, it is extremely laggy to respond to any changes.

Will edit this in a moment to answer the Cinnamon part... just logging out/in now...

Oh dear, yes you are right i see, Cinnamon System Settings also has unpleasant problems. Each section opens for me except these [for which nothing at all happens]:

• Themes
  • Applets

To clarify -- you use Testing branch [so do i, for my real system], but this is the Unstable thread, so my answer is only for my Unstable KDE & Cinnamon VM. My real [Testing] system also uses KDE + Cinnamon, but atm it is inconvenient for me to logout of Plasma & login to Cinnamon to test that for you.

1 Like

Looking into it

Forum kindly sponsored by