Unsure how to get drivers for new scanner

Continuing the discussion from Dump your inxi -Fxzc0 here and bookmark it:

I have recently been forced to ditch my old all in one printer / scanner and decided to replace it with a mono laser printer / scanner (Brother DCP-L2500D).
I have been able to use the printer courtesy of "brother-dcp-l2500d" contained in the AUR - this contains the LPR & CUPS drivers for the printer but not any drivers for the scanner to enable it to work with simple scan.
I have had a look at the support page at brother and it does contain driver downloads for the scanner but these are in with rpm or deb format. I do not know if these formats are compatible or even how I would go about installing them if they were?
Brother support page here : http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=dcpl2500d_eu

Can anyone advise if I can use rpm or deb files please (and how I go about using them? Or is there another alternatibe within the repositories to get my scanner working?

Many thanks in advance

I guess you need brscan4 from the AUR, but I don't have any Brother device

1 Like

if you can still return the printer and get another one:
I recently bought a Samsung C480W All in One color laser printer - it has excellent linux support - the provided Shell Script installs the necessary cups and sane drivers and both work without issues over network (I got the version with fax which includes a document feed and even that one works without issues on Linux)

My thanks to Lolix - brscan4 did indeed resolve my problem - I greatly appreciate your help

Forum kindly sponsored by