Unwanted double output on hdmi and analog

I have a laptop connected to a tv using a hdmi cable, audio and video works fine on both, but they play at the same time, which creates an unwanted echoing effect, pulse audio is set to digital stereo hdmi without the "+ analog option input"
The only solution i found was unplugging the laptop speakers from the motherboard, which i did

You connect via 'a' (one) hdmi cable. One cable plays at the same time as what?

Please provide more relevant information by reading this thread.

Laptop audio and tv audio via hdmi play at the same time, sorry about the confusion

You didn't read the thread and didn't provide relevant information yet. Without you at least posting the output of

inxi -Fxxxza --no-host

and putting it between these symbols ``` at the start and the end of the output, or using the </> symbol above the field of text you type in, I don't even know which flavour of Manjaro you use. As long as I don't know that, I can't help you.

System:    Kernel: 5.4.36-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
           parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64 root=UUID=f7d678f5-7fed-4213-a8d3-d1f011315a60 rw quiet 
           apparmor=1 security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2 tk: Gtk 3.24.13 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: SAMSUNG product: R510/P510 v: N/A serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 10 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: SAMSUNG model: R510/P510 serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix v: 07LI.MP00.20080926.SCY date: 09/26/2008 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: 24.4 Wh condition: 24.4/24.4 Wh (100%) volts: N/A/11.1 model: SAMSUNG Electronics 
           type: Li-ion serial: N/A status: Full 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Pentium Dual T3200 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Merom family: 6 
           model-id: F (15) stepping: D (13) microcode: A4 L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 bogomips: 7983 
           Speed: 998 MHz min/max: 1000/2000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 998 2: 998 
           Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: KVM: Vulnerable 
           Type: l1tf mitigation: PTE Inversion 
           Type: mds status: Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT disabled 
           Type: meltdown mitigation: PTI 
           Type: spec_store_bypass status: Vulnerable 
           Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization 
           Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Full generic retpoline, STIBP: disabled, RSB filling 
           Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA G98M [GeForce 9200M GS] vendor: Samsung Co driver: nvidia v: 340.108 bus ID: 01:00.0 
           chip ID: 10de:06e8 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia resolution: 1280x800~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce 9200M GS/PCIe/SSE2 v: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio vendor: Samsung Co driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           chip ID: 8086:293e 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.36-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Askey driver: ath5k v: kernel 
           port: 2000 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 168c:001c 
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Marvell 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Samsung Co driver: sky2 v: 1.30 port: 5000 
           bus ID: 06:00.0 chip ID: 11ab:4363 
           IF: enp6s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 298.09 GiB used: 23.77 GiB (8.0%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0 size: 298.09 GiB block size: physical: 512 B 
           logical: 512 B speed: 3.0 Gb/s rotation: 5400 rpm serial: <filter> rev: 1A11 scheme: MBR 
Partition: ID-1: / raw size: 298.09 GiB size: 292.41 GiB (98.09%) used: 23.77 GiB (8.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 58 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 171 Uptime: 5m Memory: 2.92 GiB used: 1.04 GiB (35.6%) Init: systemd v: 244 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 
           clang: 10.0.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.16 running in: xfce4-terminal inxi: 3.0.37 

Click on the sound symbols in the lower right corner of your screen and select, what I guess is
tune mixer or volume control. The text under the two bars for in- and output.
There you select 'Configuration' on the far right.

What does it say there? Could you make a screenshot of the list of available profiles?

two heads are better than one, except when one of the heads is mine, so feel free to tell me to shush so as to not turn you into a schizophrenic, but i did notice you have a GeForce 9200M GS which presumably is capable of delivering sound as well as light.

Pulse and ALSA are also two heads which coincidentally happen to be making me bang my own against two walls getting no sound at all through to Skype, so if you would be kind enough to give me one of your double trouble, we would both be happier.

That aside, your laptop is evidently by default always going to listen to the sound of its mother's voice regardless of what GeForce says, so you will have to tell one or the other to shut up as Kaventsmann suggests.

There could be a less surgical way than physically disconnecting mother :- your Manjaro Menu - Multimedia - PulseAudio Volume Control button will show you something different from mine; i expect you will see two lots of Output Devices, each of which has 3 (not 2, as the pic deceptively appears to show) buttons on the right, the leftmost of which (which you cant see in the pic cos its white too) toggles "Mute". When it's coloured (in the pic, green, but your colour could be grey) its OFF (ie muted) and when its not coloured it's ON (ie not muted). Pay no attention to Tooltip, it can't tell one from the other.

So you can mute whichever Output Device you don't want. I recommend muting both when Donald is on stage in the vid you are playing.

out

PS a funny thing happened on my way to the Manjaro menu looking for a way to change its background to the first (and best) car i ever owned and when it wasnt "Appearance - Change your desktop" which anyone but a programmer would have thought would be the place and, being forced to scroll further down, i saw PulseAudio Preferences and wondered whether that might assist my own sound issue, but although probably not, it might be the cause of yours if your installation ticked 'Add virtual device for simultaneous output' without your knowing it. Just a thought.

puleseprefs

imgur album as i cant post more than 1 image

forgot to mention, this setup produces double output

ok; two possible causes eliminated.

next: take a look at the Volume Control Playback tab with Show: All Streams and see if you see two outputs there.

Screenshot_2020-05-12_17-21-53

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by