Updated Manjaro thinks it's hibernated and missing

I'm not saying it was your fault, but reading the update thread is the surest way to avoid breakages. This discussion is really off topic to the original issue on this thread, so I will leave my comments at that.

You are mis-using the forum support IMHO. Either you need help and follow instructions, or close the topic as "I know best what I need" marking your post as a Solution..
I am too frustrated with your way you dealt with your issue with several topics, to commend calmly, so I leave it to your imagination..

A fallback entry not only removes modules from the intrd file (initramfs-xxx.img) but also removes microcode from booting.

A simple troubleshoot is to manually remove "/boot/intel-ucode.img" at the initrd line (of the 'normal' entry) and see if that boots..
It it boots that means the microcode is not installed or incorrectly and nothing to do with said modules.
If it still does not boot, then the modules that is incorporated into the initrd files somehow have issues with that particular system.

I think in most cases (which is rare) it is the former.

petsam, I'm not sure how to respond. I didn't really understand your source of confusion on my other thread. I asked a question, received a clear, concise answer, marked that answer as the solution, and added a note to that author that it was a success.

On this question, there is clearly an issue with the latest updates. I used a workaround for myself and posted that for anyone else who wants to go that route. However, it doesn't solve the underlying problem. I have plain vanilla hardware, so it is not likely to be some weird situation specific to my system.

Having done my workaround, I'm no longer in a position to try to unravel the actual problem, which I assume will be shared by others. I left this open so that anyone else experiencing the same problem and working through the solution could add an actual direct solution.

If every issue is treated as a unique problem for one user, then this thread can be closed, and every other user who experiences the problem can post the same question again, and people can spend time addressing the issue over and over with each user.

I added several posts here to document as much as I could about my own case to provide whatever clues it can. You provided a suggestion about rebuilding initcpio, which I indicated was essentially the workaround I employed. The difference was that I followed instructions in the other thread (which I linked to here) to first remove autodetect, so that the default GRUB entry became the fallback version. So I can't comment on whether simply rebuilding it without change would also have solved the problem.

You also suggested verifying and cleaning up installed ucodes. In my case, it's too late to see if that would change anything. But even if I could try it, you provided no instructions, assuming that anyone using Manjaro should be familiar with customizing things at that level. Even gohlip's instructions, above, are not adequate, I wouldn't have a clue where to look or exactly what to change. If I needed to pursue it, I'm sure one of you would provide novice-level instructions.

There are three kinds of computer users, ones for whom the computer is a tool to get work done and they rely on it to work without getting under the hood to build it themselves, ones for whom the computer is a tool but they need to be able to strip it and rebuild it, and ones somewhere in the middle who rely on it to work without intervention but are willing on rare occasions to do simple maintenance without automated tools.

Arch is clearly one of the distros that is only practical for people willing and interested in being their own mechanic. Manjaro is a great wrapper when it works, and I can see why a lot of people are attracted to it. But I'm finding that it isn't practical for users who just want to install and use something that can be relied on to work. I've been evaluating it for some weeks and routinely need to tinker with "low-level" stuff on plain vanilla hardware. The stuff that breaks is at a technical level and frequency that I haven't experienced with any other distro targeted at novice users.

With a novice-oriented distro, the forum should be a safety net, not a user manual. I've been a happy Linux user for many years. With Manjaro, I'm dealing with issues I haven't had to deal with before. I've had to refer to this forum extensively, and needed to access the forum with my own questions a number of times, and have gotten solutions. I have muddled through Manjaro and this forum to the best of my ability.

If you find it frustrating trying to help, that would kind of reinforce the observation that Manjaro isn't a good fit for someone lacking the knowledge or interest in taking extensive personal responsibility for their OS.

gohlip, thanks for the clarification. In my case, the issue has been overtaken by events. But the information may be useful to others experiencing the problem.

I tend to agree with this statement. With the exception that "knowledge" is not a prerequisite to running Manjaro, but a willingness to learn definitely is.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by