USB not working after flashing Arch iso

Hi there
I am a linux noob. I took a 16gb usb and flashed the arch official iso using etcher (BEFORE I DISCOVERED MANJARO). As a noob I couldn't install Arch so i turned to manjaro, used a different USB and installed Manjaro on my PCs hard drive. Now the old usb stick with the arch iso doesn't work with windows and isn't getting dectected in my manjaro machine too. I tried formatting it with windows diskpart but that didn't work. Whenever i used the "clean command" it says error access denied.
Pls help me out i wanna be able to use that USB

You'd best try another USB and see if you get the same issue - it's likely to be a hardware issue IMO. I never met a USB that won't format or deny me access...

use gparted

the usb was completely fine before i flashed the iso
and is there a way to restore it

Can I get little detailed instruction on how to do that I am a noob

press 'Alt+Space' and type 'gparted' to launch it.
Enter password.
Click the dropdown '/dev/sda/ ' to find your device... or gparted menu>devices.

If it's mounted, you'll see the directory. There are options for data recovery.

1 Like

thank you
BTW the process has started but how long does it take for a 16GB USB stick usually. Its taking quite a while now

That all depends on the stick and the system.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX

where X is the drive you wish to obliterate...

This will wipe out your second hard disk and every bit is written with zero.
Experience tells me that if you do LOW LEVEL sorting of a hard disk, it's best to leave it overnight and maybe then some... for 16GB still much quicker than just removing partitions and stuff - but it will revive it if it works.

I generally use Testdisk for this kind of thing, but dd sounds like a fundamentally more basic tool. Lovley and simple if you learn the use of it.

Yes i did use the same command just with a status
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb status=progress oflag=sync

but its taking quite a while. Is it something i should worry about or is it fine and completely normal

Go make a pot of tea and watch TV for a while. Nothing goes fast when you're sitting watching it :wink:

Yea I guess you're right okay
BTW thanks for helping. I'm really glad you helped me out

1 Like

I find zeroing out the partition tables is usually sufficient to fix up a drive that won't take a format. Wiping only the sectors at the start of the drive is usually enough to get the drive working and is much faster. It also doesn't put extra wear on the drive like writing every sector (which is very time consuming on a large drive) .

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=2048 count=32 

Where "X" must be replaced in the above command with your actual drive letter.

2 Likes

And... BTW, please stop posting dd commands using actual drive designations like:

of=/dev/sdb

Only post drive designations like I did below:

Please do not post destructive commands as above with designations such as /dev/sdb. Newbies read these posts and all they do is copy and paste into a terminal. Then BAM, they just wiped a 4TB drive of all its data. The dd command is very destructive and the average newbie finding these commands is like leaving a hand grenade at a kids playground.

Please edit your posts and replace sdb with sdX, so that there are no Newbies accidentally blowing up unintended drives with a copy/paste.

4 Likes

Thanks everybody for helping me out
I was able to use my usb using gparted after the dd command
so for anyone searching this after months here's the summary

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=2048 count=32

Replace X with your disk

1. Install Gparted
pacman -S gparted gpart nilfs-utils jfsutils ntfsprogs reiserfsprogs xfsprogs
  1. install polkit-gnome to make gparted able to run directly from menu.
pacman -S polkit-gnome
  1. Now you can use it for whatever you want. It's similar to windows disk management
2 Likes

Thank you, and my apologies - edited already :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by