use kde splash screen, on when booting

hi there. I'm new to manjaro and I'm using kde version. my machine uses hhd and it takes time to boot. but while boot is in progress I want to have a bootsplash instead of some text output about the booting process. like Ubuntu, Mint, Windows
there is an splash screen settings in KDE system settings but it works just since login upto desktop is fully loaded.
and Also it would be appreciated if anyone help me make boot time fastersplash
is there any way to set this splash as bootsplash?

Search the forum for either plymouth or bootsplash

I did, but I want to use "splash screen" instead of plymouth or anything. because I can download some beautiful gif or animation which ever it is for that purpose

You are looking for plymouth or bootsplash where bootsplash is the kernel implementation.

There's no simple way to use just a random gif animation, you'll have to make Plymouth or bootsplash theme out of it. If you like KDE animation, you can install Plymouth and Breeze theme from AUR.

yes sir. I had chosen the wrong words for my question

Go to wiki.archlinux.org and search for "Plymouth". There you can learn how to enable it in Manjaro - everything described there is applicable to Manjaro. Have fun!

Meaning, consult @openminded when you boot to a black screen. :tongue:

OP, there's a reason that Plymouth isn't typically implemented much--it can be very problematic and one false move later you've got a black screen. A thorough review of the documentation @openminded linked is highly recommended. :slight_smile:

did you notice that I added a picture there?
I want to use that.

The plymouth and bootsplash are both for an earlier stage of initializing the system, and are different than the splash screen that is a second stage of the system initialization. Is right about when KDE Plasma starts (even this might be an oversimplification), a seemingless transition between the two is not that easy to make ...
The splash screen relies on a *.svg file as background, an animation defined trough a *.qml file and a loading *.svg. Didn't had the time to investigate how the splash screen can be ported to one of the plymouth or bootsplash, but once i find some proper time, i will and a package for it might exist. :wink:

1 Like

Ok thanks for quick answer!

i f you want something like what you have shown in picture
install
kcm-plymouth
from aur

1. Remove Plymouth/Bootsplash. :smirk:

Seriously, if you want a fast boot, adding not only loading a big graphic, but updating it as the boot proceeds is heading in the wrong direction.

2 Likes

There's no better way than using SSD as system drive :wink:

yes, but for the time being there is a lot of services running on my machine and I think I have to disable/mask some of them. also some applications are running on startup and I don't need them like that. so I have a long way to walk through using Linux

You can install "breeze-plymouth" theme from aur and use it with plymouth.
Check the wiki on how to change themes on plymouth.

hello again.
I have an hhd and there was a Windows first then after I installed a manjaro along with that.
it takes about 2 minutes from pressing Power button(turning on) until dolphin opens for first time.
machine has 1T hhd+8Gb. ram +2Gb Nvidia 940mx graphic card.
now I want to format the hard and install manjaro to be the only os on that machine. would it improves this turning on time?
what instructions for partitioning the hhd hard I have to fallow?

No.
wiki.manjaro.org

^^^ What they said...

^^^ And that...

You can go to your 'system settings' screen in KDE, and visit 'startup and shutdown' to adjust your settings; and see what is loading on the front, and in the background.

I personally suggest only ever using the "manual partitioning" option during setup. You really want to review what's going on, and figure out the most optimal setup.

And, if at all possible; always keep your OS files (root: "/"), and your personal files ("/home/"), on separate partitions; in case you have to do an OSRI (operating system reinstall).

Also, the further out your Manjaro partitions are on the physical HDD disk, the slower it'll go. It's optimal to have the OS partition(s) at the center; typically, when you created the "swap partition" (linuxswap), you'd want that at the end, in the slowest section as it's rarely used.

If using a lot of memory intensive apps, then you don't want it at the end; as you might run out of DDRAM often.

What kind of machine though? Desktop, laptop; CPU?

And, curious to know what kind of motherboard you're using; assuming you're not using a laptop. If laptop, what model? @mahdikhi

1 Like

This would be true only for HDD's with MBR partition tables, typically older systems. Newer systems (with UEFI) would normally use GPT partition tables. GPT can support more than 4 partitions.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by