use nvidia on xps 7590 from fresh install

Hi guys! I am new to Manjaro.
I hope to be welcomed in this beautiful community :smile:

I installed Manjaro through the https://de.osdn.net/projects/manjaro/storage/Manjaro-User-Guide.pdf and everything went good. My DELL XPS is working properly and I also followed the suggestion on the arch-wiki for this model. During the installation I selected free-driver option.

Now I would like to configure my GPU Intel GTX 1650. How can I configure and use it?
I saw the guide here https://wiki.manjaro.org/Configure_Graphics_Cards but I do not know what should I do since I firstly installed the free-driver during the installation process.

This is what I see from Settings Manager:
DeepinScreenshot_plasmashell_20200428220802

Is there anyone can help me?

Many Thanks.

1 Like

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

If you want hybrid nVidia - Intel this is the place to go:

:innocent:

Hi :slight_smile: thanks for your help. Yes, I would like the hybrid nVidia.

I have read the guide. I understood that firstly I have to install the non-free driver. There is the guide https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Configure_Graphics_Cards . I can use the graphic tool or the CLI for automated installation.

My question is, before starting should I remove the driver that are installed by default?

The first step there is:

sudo mhwd -a [pci or usb connection] [free or nonfree drivers] 0300

Just follow the steps there and if you run into any issues, post any questions in that thread: it was created by our resident graphics expert.

thank you very much Fabby :grin:

Hi Fabby, I started with the guide.
Before starting with Optimus manager I have to switch to non-free.
I have run:
sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
and now my settings are:
DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20200429214815

before proceeding with the Optimus installation, should I remove the free drivers?
what should I do?

I see that after the installation and reboot I have the Nvidia Settings:
DeepinScreenshot_plasmashell_20200429214929

But I am still running the Intel:

inxi -G 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q] driver: nvidia v: 440.82 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: intel,nouveau resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.5

or:

lxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: Intel
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.0.5
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.0.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 20.0.5
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Am I doing something wrong? Or I have to start right now with Optimus guide?

I dunno: I'm running in pure nVidia mode and don't use Hybrid... You asked for Hybrid and I just pointed you to the best tutorial we have... If you're worried about making your system unbootable, take a crash-proof backup before you do anything further:

And then just do it! We learn by making mistakes! I'm so good today because I've crashed servers worth 50.000€ in the past and the most expensive server I've never crashed was worth 400K...

1 Like

Go ahead and install optimus and set it up, no need to remove old drivers. In fact, if things fail when switching to your dedicated GPU, you definitely don't want to get rid of fallback options! Follow the instructions provided in the guide for setting up optimus, and hopefully everything will work great. Unlike Windows, which automatically uses whichever drivers are installed, Manjaro (and most distros) wait for you to tell them what to do rather than making such assumptions.

1 Like

Ok thank you for your suggestions. :smile:

HI guys I want to tell you that following the Guide suggested it works perfectly! I am able to switch between Intel and Nvidia with just one click! And everything is going right.

So in order to help others I can tell that the XPS 7590 works perfect starting from Manjaro 20 it is enough to follow the guide for having a right configuration with Nvidia.

Many thanks to everybody :smile: :smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by