Use Nvidia PRIME and dynamic bind/unbind drivers

So, I'm trying to do some very hacky stuff which I'm sure is possible, I just need help figuring it out.
The main question I would like some help to answer is the following: Is there any way to bind/unbind the nvidia drivers from the GPU (to be able to use it for GPU passthrough when needed) while using nvidia-prime?

I've been banging my head for the past 3 days trying to find a way to do it, but no luck so far. If I understand correctly, when you use PRIME there's a secondary Xorg instance running in the background, and frames are copied from there onto the main instance (nvidia-smi confirms the GPU is being used by Xorg). What I assume would need to be done is kill said Xorg instance and then attempt to unbind the drivers, but so far I've not found a good way to do this, and trying to just unbind the drivers fails every time since they are being used.

My system consists of 2 dGPUs, one weak(ish) one (AMD R9 270X) and one high end one (NVIDIA GTX 1070). I could simply pass through the NVIDIA GPU the normal way, but I still want to make use of it on the host when not running any VMs, mainly to run games. This is why I am trying to use the hybrid drivers, to have the low end GPU giving me video output all the time, yet also being able to use a high end GPU to do all the heavy lifting when needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by