Vala panel appmenu crashes

Since the new year i've experienced an issue that the vala panel appmenu plugin crashes everytime i change the active window (e.g opening the whisker menu), i didn't post it before because i thought it was an issue after updating until today i started troubleshooting because i really like that plugin, so i checked .xsession-errors and it seemed that the app was crashing because of a python issue, then i created a new user and in that user the problem isn't reproducible, i tested this with the plugin from the repos and from the aur and the problem happens with both versions, i was thinking of moving all my personal data from the first user to the 2nd one so the problem would be solved but i think that it would take me a lot of time to configure everything to what it was before, and i would need to fix some issues like qt5ct not opening, so this would be the last option i'd take if i can't fix it. So do you have any idea to what is causing the crash?, it's worth mentioning that the applet doesn't crash if i log first to the 2nd user then close session and enter my primary user.

.Xsession-errors
(xfce4-panel:1802): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to PanelItemDialog 0x557ffdf4c2c0 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.TypeError: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/dbus/service.py", line 736, in _message_cb
    (method_name, signature))
TypeError: GetMenuForWindow has multiple output values in signature so but did not return a sequence

xfce4-panel-Message: Plugin appmenu-1 has been automatically restarted after crash.
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.TypeError: Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/dbus/service.py", line 736, in _message_cb
    (method_name, signature))
TypeError: GetMenuForWindow has multiple output values in signature so but did not return a sequence

Sorry if this is a bit late, but I would suggest digging into the .config/xfce4/xfconf directory, look for a file with vala in in. If you see one, remove the vala panel, nuke the file (or save it somewhere) and re-add vala. If there is no file, then you might want to grab a graphical diff program (I use meld) and diff this directory between the working account and the non working account, you might see some differences related to vala.

Trying to solve the issue i destroyed my main user(not with your solution), so all that i had left was to move to another user that had the same name as the older one, but most of the issues i was getting got solved with the new user, i'm still configuring it so i'll wait a few days of testing to mark this as solved.

Using the .config folder in the new user makes the applet to crash so it seems that it was a config file all along, now the only issue i have so far is that gtk-window-decorator(compiz-reloaded) doesn't use the systems font in it's titlebar, and using the command
--titlebar-font Cantarell
doesn't make any difference.

Fixed the titlebar problem by installing mate, then opened in xfce mate-appearance-properties then got to the typography tab and selected the font i wanted in the titlebar.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by