Valve patches for "FSync"

There is AUR package linux-fsync. Will we get for manjaro also "manjaro official" fsync kernel/modules?

1 Like

We will provide them as extramodules so it can be used right now.

4 Likes

is it already "on" or do I have to do something to enable them for stable kde?

Any more news on this?

Any news on this? Which extra-module is necessary to install for this? Which kernel to use?

Unless I'm mistaken, in Manjaro there are no extramodules for this and also no kernel with the patches included. At least not yet.

Several options exist though:
linux-fsync from AUR
linux53-vd from my Github
probably some other kernels on AUR as well
or build a custom kernel with the patches.

It seems Valve has provided pre-compiled patched kernels for Arch distros:

Mirror
A repo mirror is available at http://repo.steampowered.com/arch/valveaur/ providing builds of both linux-fsync and the mesa-aco-git packages.

To use this mirror, add our signing key to your pacman ring via:

# Trusting signing key for valveaur packages
# <http://repo.steampowered.com/arch/valveaur/valveaur.asc>
#
# pub   rsa4096 2019-07-23 [SC]
#       7056 9B12 E7BF 8082 8B5E  4506 8DC2 CE3A 3D24 5E64
# uid           John Schoenick <johns@valvesoftware.com>
sudo pacman-key --recv-key 8DC2CE3A3D245E64
sudo pacman-key --lsign-key 8DC2CE3A3D245E64
And then add the following to your pacman.conf:

[valveaur]

Server = http://repo.steampowered.com/arch/valveaur

Source: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-fsync/#pinned-702431

1 Like

i guess i'll play lab rat. patched kernel and nvidia's 430xx blob installed on an optimus lappy. what could possibly go wrong. :sweat_smile:

~ >>> inxi -SGxxz                                                                                                                                                                                               [1]
System:    Host: dglt-aw Kernel: 5.3.5-arch1-1-fsync x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.2.0 Desktop: Awesome 4.3 dm: LightDM 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:191b 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] vendor: Dell driver: nvidia v: 430.50 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10de:139b 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: modesetting,nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 430.50 direct render: Yes 
~ >>>  
3 Likes

haha good luck ! I will be trying this patched version until the weekend as well. Let's see if there are real gains using it.

i guess for testing purposes i should of run some benchmarks before i uninstalled manjaro's 5.3 kernel and installed the arch fsync kernel. :man_facepalming:

i'll just have to test later back on the manjaro kernel for any differences, i'll be testing shadow of mordor in a little while and the super scientific process of "does it feel faster, or does it feel slower?" will have to do for now. :smiley:

EDIT: i only tested with shadow of mordor on both manjaro's 5.3 kernel and the arch fsync kernel.

arch 5.3 fsync kernel, both with fsync and without it by using PROTON_NO_FSYNC=1 launch option gave me the same results within 1-2 fps of each other. on the "high" settings preset at 1920x1080 (100% scale) i was only getting 38-40 fps averages.

manjaro 5.3 kernel (no fsync), same exact settings, 46-49 fps averages. :man_shrugging:

one game is not a proper test make, im assuming fsync has certain hardware that benefits more from it's use than mine does. im on a quad-core 6th gen i5 with an nvidia 960m so it's not exactly a mutithreading beast but still performs great imo.

i was also having game lockups while using the fsync kernel, just the game and not a system wide lockup. killed process and started over.

3 Likes

Have you tried WINEFSYNC_SPINCOUNT=100 ? By the way, I tried to use this patched kernel yesterday but the desktop environment did not load. Did you install any extra packages / modules to make it boot properly ?

In case you use extramodules like nvidia, you have to recompile them against the patched kernel.
Personally, I haven't found any noticeable differences so far with these patches (note: I'm not using the linux-fsync kernel).

2 Likes

i knew the manjaro nvidia packages wouldnt work so i installed the nvidia blob ahead of time and dkms handled the rest.

getting the arch nvidia-dkms would of been easier but there was no 430.xx drivers available and the 435.xx are a mess

i didnt know to try this, whats it do?

So I wil propably wait a little. I'm currently using Nvidia 435 drivers, About this env var it is not quite well documented, bu they say it can improve performance in some scenarios.

i did notice that even with PROTON_NO_FSYNC=1 the terminal output still showed "fsync up and running" so i'm not sure what thats all about.

i should of clarified, im on an optimus laptop and these drivers seem to break vsync when using vulkan. i also seen a decent performance hit even without vsync though, might just be the optimus setups that have that issue though.

1 Like

I'm running Valves Fsync Kernel since 5.2 - current 5.3 and also mesa aco git.
As far as mesa is concerned it brings real great improvements, way less stutter etc.
Not sure about the Kernel since I couldn't really see a difference on my machine with it.
Tested about 20+ games with it so far.

2 Likes

will Fsync patches ever come to official manjaro? any news on this?

4 Likes

They will probably only come to Manjaro when and if they get into upstream... unless Phil decides to include them.

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by