VirtualBox: Drag and Drop Windows 10 to Manjaro

Hi people I have installed VirtualBox in my Manjaro Deepin.
There I have Windows 10 installed.

I want drag and drop files of Windows 10 (VirtualBox) to Manjaro but nothing happen.
But if I do drag and drop of Manjaro to Windows 10, I can.

I have installed VirtualBox Guest Additions and activate bidirectional mode.

Is not possible drag and drop If Windows 10 is "virtualized" to Manjaro Desktop or I need give him any permissions?

Thanks for your help.

First:

Is your user member of the group vboxusers?

sudo gpasswd -a $USER vboxusers

Second:

You don't need use drag'n drop between VM and host.

Use shared folders instead - it is extremely easy to setup for a Windows guest.

2 Likes

Thanks again for your help.
Now I can share folders perfectly, thanks for the tutorial.
But sometimes I prefer use Drag and Drop, VM to Manjaro (host), so... is not possible Drag and Drop? Only is possible Host --> VM??

I've tested this on Ubuntu and it works, so it is possible to drag-and-drop both Guest->Host and Host->Guest.

1 Like

I can't.
Left: Manjaro (host)
Right: Windows 10 (guest)

not%20working

I believe you.

I'm saying that it is possible. For example, are you dropping into a directory you have permissions to write to rather than onto the KDE desktop?

My DE is Deepin and I don't know the permissions.
That's why in my first post I asked if I should enable permissions to achieve this, and how i do it?
Thanks again for your help! :slight_smile:

Open a file manager, drag and drop into that instead of to the desktop.

Sorry, my english is not good.
I don't know if I understood correctly.

I open a File Manager in Manjaro (home folder) and I did drag and drop the file, Windows 10 VM to the Home Folder. I tried also to other hdd but nothing. The drag and drop not working Guest --> Host.

I won't be able to test this on a Manjaro system for a few hours, I'll get back to you then unless someone else replies first.

1 Like

Do not worry, there is no hurry.
I will be attentive to the answers. I appreciate your time.
Regards :slight_smile:

Good news and bad news.

Drag-and-drop doesn't work at all between my Manjaro host and manjaro32 guest (both fully up-to-date on unstable and x32-unstable branches).

So, the good news is it's not just you.

The bad news is it's not just you.

2 Likes

Thanks @jonathon for trying, It would have been good for it to work. Then I'll have to get used to using the way @linux-aarhus told me to share folders.

Again, thanks! :slight_smile:

hey, somebody got it working?

Manjaro does not accept any drag n drop neither to host nor to guest.. Windows drag n drop works fine.. From and to windows Host and guest... and so does ubuntu/Lubuntu

any workaound there?
i have Manjaro KDE on Host and Xfce on guest so file managers are dolphin and thunar

You will probably need to use shared folders as mentioned in the second post.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by