VirtualBox Installation Error

Hey guys, I have Manjaro 5.7.0-3-MANJARO #1 and I am trying to install VirtualBox by following Tutorial. However, when I execute the following command, I get the following error:

$ sudo vboxreload
Unloading modules: 
Loading modules: modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxnetadp not found in directory /lib/modules/5.7.0-3-MANJARO
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxnetflt not found in directory /lib/modules/5.7.0-3-MANJARO
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/5.7.0-3-MANJARO

What's going wrong?

Thanks

1 Like

You are missing the correct kernel modules.

When you installed virtualbox you were asked which kernel modules to install - if you just pressed enter you got the first in line which probably is not the right package.

sudo pacman -Syu linux57-virtualbox-host-modules
1 Like

It doesn't ask me anything. See the output:

$ sudo pacman -Syu linux57-virtualbox-host-modules
[sudo] password for arjun: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 sublime-text is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: fontconfig: local (2:2.13.1+12+g5f5ec56-2) is newer than extra (2:2.13.1+12+g5f5ec56-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) linux57-virtualbox-host-modules-6.1.8-3

Total Download Size:   0.17 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0.15 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
 linux57-virtualb...   175.6 KiB  1282 KiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                [######################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) installing linux57-virtualbox-host-modules   [######################] 100%
===> You must load vboxdrv module before starting VirtualBox:
===> # modprobe vboxdrv
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Updating module dependencies...

On the wiki page you are referring to - you have copy pasted the command example - which will not work because the example is referring to kernel 5.4 and your system is running using 5.7.

The command you just executed was a command to make your VirtualBox installation work with your current kernel - which version I deducted from the error message you referred.

Execute below command - and your VirtualBox should now be working.

sudo vboxreload

In the wiki article - there is also a link in the See Also section to the guide on VirtualBox

2 Likes

Thanks! It works now.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by