VMWare - Can't change screen resolution

Yes, I ran all the updates before I started using the VM.

I did try updating the video drivers on the host (new NVidia drivers out today) and rebooted. No help.

Make sure you use the VGA Adaptor(not svga) and enable 3D acceleration.

Once you get into the system you may need to use mhwd to install the proper drivers.

After that follow these instructions:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=VirtualBox#Running_Manjaro_under_VirtualBox

1 Like

Already set to VboxVGA. I turned on 3D acceleration, now it will boot to a menu where I can select Manjaro 18 (or something similar), but then boots to a black screen. I'll look at that page you referenced later. Assuming I'll need to boot to command line and install the driver.

1 Like

So the install in VMware definitely seemed to be glitchy. Sometimes I could re-size the window, but most of the time I couldn't.

I ended up doing a clean install using Virtualbox and choose the accelerate 3D and VboxVGA. It's been working flawlessly.

Virtualbox seems to have more, useful settings. Makes VMware Workstation seem like a stripped down version.

1 Like

That is because VMWare Workstation Player is a stripped down version. :smile:

1 Like

Hello,

I have the same problem, with a little digging i found out that doing when the session is opened :

systemctl stop vmtoolsd.service
systemctl start vmtoolsd.service

The resolution adapts to the screen.

There is probably a solution by editing the service file (like in this post)

But I didn't find a working solution yet

2 Likes

It seems to work by adding in this file /usr/lib/systemd/system/vmtoolsd.service

After=display-manager.service
At the end of the [Unit] part.

I had to close completely the player and restart the vm, the resolution adapts with the size of the window now.

1 Like

I ended up setting it up in VBox and deleted the VMWare image. I'm liking VBox more, seems more consistent.

where is the unit part though? at the end? im having the same problem. cant go higher than f**king 800x600.

Yes, these steps resolved the issue for me as well (using VMware player 15 something) and adding the After… to /usr/lib/systemd/system/vmtoolsd.service, the content is now:

[Unit]
Description=Open Virtual Machine Tools (VMware Tools)
ConditionVirtualization=vmware
After=display-manager.service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/vmtoolsd

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

@Infinite-Dao

i just did that and it didnt solve the problem. I am using vmware workstation 15 with latest Manjaro KDE version. Everytime i change the resolution it changes for half a second and jumps back to 800x600 >-<

@Infinite-Dao

Thank you so much. This fixed two separate issues I've been having. First, this fixed the display not being able to find the correct resolution, or auto resize.

Second, this fixed my dual monitor setup. Previously, whenever I tried to use 'Cycle multiple monitors', I would get an error:

"..cannot use multiple monitors..virtual machine must have up-to-date VMware Tools installed and running"

Now it works as expected. You're a life saver.

Also, if on a Mac, don't enable vmware settings 'Use full resolution for Retina display'.

Thanks for this share. I'm still getting my feet wet with Linux and so far this is looking like my kind of distro. I know it taboo to say, "distros" but Manjaro is definitely becoming one of my favs.

Hey I've recently tried getting Manjaro to auto resize by adding After=display-manager.servicewith no luck, the only option I seem to have is to:

systemctl stop vmtoolsd.service
systemctl start vmtoolsd.service

I'm a complete linux noob and have no other ideas, I've scoured around the web and tried a few stuff related to Arch with no luck.

What worked for me was to start my guest, edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and comment out the old MODULES, replacing it:

# MODULES=""
MODULES=(vsock vmw_vsock_vmci_transport vmw_balloon vmw_vmci vmwgfx)

Regenerate the initramfs simply by doing an upgrade (if possible), or rebuild initramfs and grub config:

sudo mkinitcpio -P
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

And reboot

3 Likes

This is the solution. I have tried every other fix and had no results.

This worked perfectly

edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

MODULES="vsock vmw_vsock_vmci_transport vmw_balloon vmw_vmci vmwgfx"
(When regenerating the initramfs the brackets didnt work, the above line ^^^ should work)

sudo mkinitcpio -P

Simple reboot and all done!

Thank you

2 Likes

Saved me.

I had the same problem, and before now I could only do the stop/start vmtoolsd.service each time.

With the MODULES="vsock vmw_vsock_vmci_transport vmw_balloon vmw_vmci vmwgfx" line added in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf at the bottom of the [UNIT] entry, regenerating the initramfs and rebooting, it was solved.

Thank you all.

(Tried on VMware Workstation 15 Player version 15.5.2 build-15785246 under Windows 10 Pro)

Thanks. Worked for me. finally i fixed the problem.

edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

MODULES="vsock vmw_vsock_vmci_transport vmw_balloon vmw_vmci vmwgfx"
(When regenerating the initramfs the brackets didnt work, the above line ^^^ should work)

sudo mkinitcpio -P

Simple reboot and all done!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by